1. Post #1
    July 2007
    106 Posts
    Update March 30th, 2011

I have started from scratch. So far I have only built the walls, main window frames on the right side of the house, and the roof. I only started this today so it is pretty early in development, but I figured you guys deserved an update.

I decided to start over for a few reasons. The original layout was a little awkward. Instead of shifting everything around, it was easier just to start over. Also, I needed more room. In the original version, I didn't add a laundry room, a closet for the master bedroom, and a second bedroom because of space issues. Without being much larger, the new layout can fit much more.

The design will be very similar to the old version. I am still goring for a retro-modern style with some dramatic angles and clean textures.

Some other things worth mentioning:
    -The roof is not final. (I'm not happy with it yet)
    -I'll be making the backyard very similar to the old one.
    -The front steps are temporary
    -The lighting is not final.

Also, sorry for the poor image quality. When I uploaded the pictures, I didn't realize how compressed they'd get.

Let me know what you think. What works with the new design and what doesn't? Is there anything from the old design that you want to see in this one? Is it even a good idea to start over?

Thanks!

Update 7/15/10
    Re-upped screens:

This is my second try at mapping. The first map I tried never got finished. Hopefully this one will be.
    So far its just a simple house with a flooded basement. Its my first time using hdr so It looks kind of weird. Also, the exterior texture (the red stripe) isn't the one I'm using. It is supposed to be solid concrete but in Garry's Mod it gets changed to that one.

I haven't started detail on anything other than the basement which was just kind of a rough idea of what it will look like. Also, I'm having some lighting issues on the stairs. You can see in the 2nd to last and 3rd to last pictures the lighting drastically changes when you move up them. Any way to fix this? So, let me know what you think, what could be improved, ect. Thanks!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Artistic x 77Agree x 3Mapping King x 3Dumb x 1Disagree x 1Useful x 1Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    1,118 Posts
    Looks good, just tone down the HDR a bit and it'll be perfect.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 22Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    May 2009
    242 Posts
    Looks lovely
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Ukraine Show Events Agree Agree x 8Optimistic Optimistic x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,963 Posts
    Looks awesome
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

5. Post #5
    May 2009
    242 Posts
    Also, he red stripe texture looks nice,dont bother changing it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Ukraine Show Events Agree x 8Disagree x 2Bad Spelling x 2Dumb x 1Bad Reading x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    151 Posts
    Looks much larger on the inside than I would've imagined.

I like it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,969 Posts
    Looks good, my only suggestion would be to smooth out the edges of the interior arch. Either smoothing groups or more brushes.

8. Post #8
    April 2007
    189 Posts
    Very nice, i never could've thought it's your second map if you wouldn't have told us
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,577 Posts
    I excpected to come in and be like :ughh:
    but then i saw it and i was like
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15Dumb Dumb x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,436 Posts
    Great work. My eyes are already entertained and you haven't even put props in the house yet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    7,713 Posts
    Looks nice, Believe there are like 400 Gm_house maps though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,634 Posts
    With the light in the basement, change the model's skin to the one that appears on.
    Nice job.

13. Post #13
    April 2009
    649 Posts
    You make maps too?!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    983 Posts
    It's funny how 'first' or early maps of people are either total shit or awesome stuff like this.
    Great job, i love the lighting!

15. Post #15
    Dennab
    December 2006
    62 Posts
    You appear to be using both TF2 and HL2 textures together. You might want to pick one or the other - they tend to work poorly together due to the differences in style. Also, your basement looks like it belongs in a military bunker rather than a house. You should probably change the wall texture. It just doesn't look like it belongs in a house.
    You should move your lights a bit away from the walls and ceilings - they're creating rather bright circles that don't look right. You might also fix this by reducing the brightness of the lights or changing them to light_spot entities.
    Very nice architecture. Are you making all of the arches, slants, and extra geometry func_detail?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

16. Post #16
    July 2007
    106 Posts
    You appear to be using both TF2 and HL2 textures together.
    Yeah, that wasn't my choice. It automatically changes when the map is in Garry's mod. I said that in the first post.
    Very nice architecture. Are you making all of the arches, slants, and extra geometry func_detail?
    It is now. Thanks for the tip! :D

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    759 Posts
    The basement desperately needs a sub-pump, whoever built that house needs to be sued if the basement is flooded already.
    And the exterior texture is a little bit fugly, but otherwise pretty nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    1,861 Posts
    nice... Ha ve no idea what I'd do with it, but nice.

19. Post #19
    July 2007
    106 Posts
    And the exterior texture is a little bit fugly, but otherwise pretty nice.
    Yeah, its not the one I wanted. I guess there is another texture with the same name for TF2 and Garry's mod uses that one.

20. Post #20
    July 2009
    102 Posts
    Sexy home there my friend.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,634 Posts
    Yeah, its not the one I wanted. I guess there is another texture with the same name for TF2 and Garry's mod uses that one.
    Just unmount TF2 when you are taking the pictures, that way we can see what it should look like.

22. Post #22
    July 2007
    106 Posts
    Just unmount TF2 when you are taking the pictures, that way we can see what it should look like.
    Thanks for the tip! Will do.

23. Post #23
    January 2009
    813 Posts
    Holy fuck GREAT JOB !

copy Please?

24. Post #24
    July 2009
    72 Posts
    dl?

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,634 Posts
    Guys, maybe he wants to finish it before he decides if he will give you a download link...

26. Post #26
    July 2009
    72 Posts
    Guys, maybe he wants to finish it before he decides if he will give you a download link...
    whats there left to finish?

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,634 Posts
    whats there left to finish?
    The face that most of the interior is empty makes me think he isn't finished yet.

28. Post #28
    July 2009
    72 Posts
    The face that most of the interior is empty makes me think he isn't finished yet.
    thats what garrysmod is for.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,969 Posts
    Well, it's his map - he decides when he wants to release it, if he ever wants to release it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    February 2008
    519 Posts
    Would make a nice L4D Survival map, especially if you added a zombie tunnel in the basement that breaks 3 minutes in.and made a wasy to get on the flat-ish part of the roof, like a ladder.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

31. Post #31
    July 2007
    106 Posts
    Thanks to all for your comments!

I think this will probably be released sometime soon, but I am not too sure. I want to find a better texture for the exterior. Also, does anybody know how I can fix the lighting issue on the stairs?

I'll have pics of the map in its current form soon.

Oh, almost forgot; I'm thinking of renaming it Gm_ModernHouse. What do you think? Is the name fine how it is?

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,969 Posts
    Would make a nice L4D Survival map, especially if you added a zombie tunnel in the basement that breaks 3 minutes in.and made a wasy to get on the flat-ish part of the roof, like a ladder.
    do this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    July 2008
    19 Posts
    Thanks to all for your comments!

I think this will probably be released sometime soon, but I am not too sure. I want to find a better texture for the exterior. Also, does anybody know how I can fix the lighting issue on the stairs?

I'll have pics of the map in its current form soon.

Oh, almost forgot; I'm thinking of renaming it Gm_ModernHouse. What do you think? Is the name fine how it is?
    ModernHouse sounds good, actually; make it stand out a bit.

I'm looking forward to this map. Looks really good, hard to believe it's only your second map. You've got some real talent.

34. Post #34
    July 2009
    13 Posts
    you can add a plaster texture.

35. Post #35
    If clothing didn't exist and everyone walked around with their penises fully erect I would have all the bitches.
    May 2009
    23,793 Posts
    Pros:
    -The map is clear and light and isn't depresing
    -The Basement Is Very Creative
    Cons:
    Wheres The Grass?
    Why Is The House In The Middle Of An Ocean?
    Why Are There Iron Trainstation Handrails In A House?
    Wheres The Furniture?
    Arn't There A Million Maps Called gm_house?
    Improvements:
    FIX THE CONS
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

36. Post #36
    January 2009
    813 Posts
    Pros:
    -The map is clear and light and isn't depresing ( I AGREE )
    -The Basement Is Very Creative ( It looks a litte off to me.. not fiting with the map )
    Cons:
    Wheres The Grass? ( Im fairly sure hes not done )
    Why Is The House In The Middle Of An Ocean? ( Its just Cuz he wanted it to be there )
    Why Are There Iron Trainstation Handrails In A House? ( I think it makes it look fucking COOL )
    Wheres The Furniture? ( I would love this with out some and with some ( 2 maps) )
    Arn't There A Million Maps Called gm_house? ( YES )
    Improvements:
    FIX THE CONS

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,969 Posts
    Pros:
    -The map is clear and light and isn't depresing
    -The Basement Is Very Creative
    Cons:
    Wheres The Grass? It will be where the dev texture is on the floor right now, it's still a WiP map, remember
    Why Is The House In The Middle Of An Ocean? It appears to be a flooded basement and nothing more.
    Why Are There Iron Trainstation Handrails In A House? Good question. Maybe it's a placeholder? Maybe he needs someone to model a more fitting one? Maybe that was the intended look?
    Wheres The Furniture? I'm guessing it's on the way, unless he wants people to fill it with props in gmod.
    Arn't There A Million Maps Called gm_house? This is true, but it's still a WiP map, shitty names are part of the whole "Work in Progress" thing, it will (most likely) get a new name.
    Improvements:
    FIX THE CONS
    also
    This is my second try at mapping. The first map I tried never got finished. Hopefully this one will be.
    So far its just a simple house with a flooded basement. Its my first time using hdr so It looks kind of weird. Also, the exterior texture (the red stripe) isn't the one I'm using. It is supposed to be solid concrete but in Garry's Mod it gets changed to that one.
    In general, when looking at a WiP map, don't keep on badgering him about what isn't there yet, as a lot of it will be there eventually, just focus on what IS done, because this isn't a final copy of the map. This is so we can crit. on what has been done and make some suggestions on what should be added.

38. Post #38
    July 2007
    106 Posts
    I have a bit of an update. So I added a kitchen and a bedroom. Its kind of small, but I think its fine. I also replaced the outside and basement textures. Let me know what you think.

Also, stairs still doing that thing. Anybody know how to fix it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    December 2007
    462 Posts
    Me likes.

Muchly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    July 2009
    11 Posts
    Nice house, good tecture
    Would make a good zombie survival map if was in nighttime
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)