1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,495 Posts

Beta is done! Have fun in the full game.
    Also, it's free to play!

Quick info:
    Developer: Cryptic Studios, who are also the developers behind City of Heroes/Villains and Champions Online.
    Forums: http://forums.startrekonline.com/
    Languages: English, Franšais, Deutsch
    Release Date: North America- February 2nd, 2010 | Europe- February 5th, 2010
    F2P Release Date: January 17, 2012

---General Overview---
    The year is 2409 (31 years after Voyager). Ten years ago, the peace treaty between the Klingon Empire and Federation of Planets dissolved. The two superpowers are now in a full-blown war. After the destruction of Romulus and Remus (and thus the Romulan Empire's central government) the once-mighty Romulan Empire is crumbling. The Cardassian Union is not faring any better. On top of this, there's the ever-present threat of the Borg, Species 8472 (now called the Undine), and many others.

Playable Characters
    You can choose to play as a member of Starfleet (Humans, Vulcans, Bajorans, Andorians, Ferengi, Tellarites, etc.) or the Klingon Defence Force (Klingons, Gorn, Nausicaans, Orion, etc.). Later on, different groups, such as the Dominion and Romulans will be playable (that doesn't look very likely anymore, but you never know). Each species has both static and changeable bonuses. Everyone has a total of four constant bonuses for their captain.

In addition to faction and species, you must choose your career. Basically, science officers are the stat-buffers, engineering officers are good with machines and can place ground mines and turrets, and tactical officers hit hard and fast.

Combat
    Combat is split into two main groups: Space and Ground.

Space:
    In space, you must pilot your ship to make the most of the positions of your weapons, shield strength, and other various stats. Once you are within ten kilometers of an enemy, you may open fire. Energy weapons are effective against shields while torpedoes and mines are effective against hull plating. As such, your goal is to drain the enemy shield and destroy their ship without being killed first. This is easy at first, but eventually some serious tactics come into play. Ships also have classes, each of which has its strengths and weaknesses.

Ground:
    This comes in two flavors -- standard point-and click MMO combat and ~shooter mode~. In either you run around, use items and buffs, etc. The difference is that in shooter mode you have to aim. It's actually pretty cool.

Exploration
    Really, Star Trek has always been about teaching people lessons through stories of exploring strange new lands. I don't know if you'll learn a lesson from it, but the good men at Cryptic have definitely kept up with the exploration.

When you take exploration missions, you roam around an uncharted sector of space looking for strange readings. When you find one, you accept it and a sort of mini-mission. This is where the some of the real Star Trek lore comes into play. In the short time I played in the beta, I came across non-corporal beings that feast on children from the Original Series, a species introduced in The Next Generation, and a slight reference to Enterprise.

What if you don't want to do that? That's alright, because it doesn't really do too much (except get you MASSIVE amounts of dilithium and some pretty good experience points).

Strange Readings
    You will come across a lot of unidentified materials. you can whip out your scanners to point you to them at any time. What you do with these unidentified minerals, artifacts, and general riff-raff is take them over to the good scientists of Memory Alpha. At this massive complex in the Alpha Centauri Sector, you can use these materials to craft new and exciting things.

[release]---Current Events---

General
    First-ever Federation Carrier

Season 6 comes in June.

Scene from The 2800:
    [/release]

Facepunch Fleet
    Yes, there is a fleet (guild for the new guys).
    It's called Fleetpunch Newman and to join, just post your handle (character@account) with some sort of indication that you want to join. Text is preferable, since grunting and pointing is difficult to convey over the internet.

[release]---Free Stuff---

To anyone who hasn't, go to the redeem code page ( http://www.startrekonline.com/enter_key ) and type in: JIH MUSHA SOH
    Thanks for the free Wrath of Khan uniform, Metanar! Expired.

This is only good for new players. Includes Enterprise uniforms and free play time.[/release]

tl;dr: This is the best MMO ever. Buy it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 7Funny Funny x 2 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    1,434 Posts
    thanks for making a decent thread about this

I was upset when they went down the "everyone gets their own ship" path rather than player crewed ships, , but the customization makes up for it sort of. creating a new race seems like an intresting feature, mainly if they go down the exploration and adventure route
    they better focus on a player drivin enviornment rather than an on-rails quest with pvp inbetween

it should be like bridge commander but an MMO
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

3. Post #3
    April 2009
    446 Posts
    ill stick with champions online (also made by cryptic) till swtor comes out and owns any other mmo out there
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    1,225 Posts
    ill stick with champions online (also made by cryptic) till swtor comes out and owns any other mmo out there
    SWTOR could very well be the worst MMO out there for all you know, unless you somehow played the alpha, and even then it could still turn out really bad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    September 2007
    1,403 Posts
    I just can't wait for this to come out, I am simply rejoicing as the day approaches! :)

Oh, and am I the only one who sees massive similarities between this and EVE graphics?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    6,138 Posts
    I've never been THAT into Star Trek.. but i've always kind of liked Sci-Fi...

I definitely will be trying this when it comes out.

7. Post #7
    October 2008
    2,014 Posts
    I was upset when they went down the "everyone gets their own ship" path rather than player crewed ships

That instantly killed all my hopes for this, I won't play it past the "have to play so I can say I have" phase. No matter what else this game has, that was what first got me into it, now that it's gone I have no interest in this game.

Such a shame.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Agree Agree x 3 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    4,576 Posts
    If you get to be the Borg, I will have to get this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    September 2007
    1,403 Posts
    They said that other people can come on your ship to socialize, and take part in missions further on. Just not when it first comes out, gotta stick around a while to see all its features! :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    846 Posts
    I seriously cannot wait for this, I was going to buy a 6 month subscription to CO just to get into this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    10,956 Posts

I was upset when they went down the "everyone gets their own ship" path rather than player crewed ships, , but the customization makes up for it sort of. creating a new race seems like an interseting feature, mainly if they go down the exploration and adventure route
    they better focus on a player drivin enviornment rather than an on-rails quest with pvp inbetween

Think of it this way, instead of having only a handful of ships with hundreds of people on controlling each little thing which could get boring you get massive battles.

I wonder if they're going to do a sort of raid system with giant space stations.

Edited:

That instantly killed all my hopes for this, I won't play it past the "have to play so I can say I have" phase. No matter what else this game has, that was what first got me into it, now that it's gone I have no interest in this game.

Such a shame.
    Your loss then, everyone else'll be enjoying the game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    846 Posts
    Brought a 6 month subscription to CO, gonna be in the Beta :downsbravo:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    October 2008
    2,014 Posts
    Your loss then.

No, it's not my loss, the game has no appeal to me anymore, I lose nothing by not playing, infact, I keep the money I would of spent buying it and/or paying for a subscription.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    6,966 Posts
    Flying huge cubes in space.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Estonia Show Events Informative Informative x 4Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,495 Posts

I was upset when they went down the "everyone gets their own ship" path rather than player crewed ships, , but the customization makes up for it sort of. creating a new race seems like an interseting feature, mainly if they go down the exploration and adventure route

I'm glad that everyone gets their own ship (or multiple ships). What you suggested would be slightly more realistic, but infinitely more boring and frustrating. Same with what they said about ground combat in the last Ask Cryptic article. As a balancing feature, you can't just "beam out" during combat. This stops untold ammounts of unfair gameplay. However, the perfection Nazis said that this was stupid because people did that in the show. Cryptic can't make this exactly to canon because it is a game. It has to be Star Trek, but it also has to be fun and fair.

However, I do agree that exploration/player-driven environment should come before PVP.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,618 Posts
    I'm glad that everyone gets their own ship (or multiple ships). What you suggested would be slightly more realistic, but infinitely more boring and frustrating. Same with what they said about ground combat in the last Ask Cryptic article. As a balancing feature, you can't just "beam out" during combat. This stops untold ammounts of unfair gameplay. However, the perfection Nazis said that this was stupid because people did that in the show. Cryptic can't make this exactly to canon because it is a game. It has to be Star Trek, but it also has to be fun and fair.

However, I do agree that exploration/player-driven environment should come before PVP.
    Have that for the first 6 months or year of the game being released, then have the War occur.

Also, we all know the only good races will be the Orions and my personal favorite, the Breen.

Hell Yeah.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    1,959 Posts
    I want everyone in my crew to look like Seven of Nine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Japan Show Events Funny Funny x 7Agree Agree x 2 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    6,966 Posts
    Hope this game is not such a big disappointment as champions online is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Estonia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,495 Posts
    Hope this game is not such a big disappointment as champions online is.
    Champions Online is fine. People are just complaining about massive demand on the server.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Late Late x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    805 Posts
    I see you, Cryptic. Half of the shit in that Character Creation video was the EXACT same as in Champions Online. The animations were the same (see: average stance on CO), but it looked better.

Not excited for it, more excited for SWToR. Never really got into Star Trek.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts
    I miss my thread on this. Oh well, times change.

I'm a member of the Second Fleet on the forums, good fun going on over there. Beta should be coming soon.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    7,887 Posts
    I was really disappointed when I heard they weren't going to do player crewed ships anymore
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member

June 2007
    2,290 Posts
    Despite the cutbacks this game has had since it was first announced, I know I will be trying it anyways because I'm a hardcore trekkie
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,221 Posts
    I was really disappointed when I heard they weren't going to do player crewed ships anymore
    I can imagine a player crewed ship.

Genericcaptain: Navigation take us to that position.

Navigation Guy: *AFK*
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 13Agree Agree x 5 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2008
    7,561 Posts
    Star wars is better, but whichever is better gameplay will prevail.

Edited:

The fucking character creation trailer ripped the star wars themesong! It was the exact same song just different tones of the horn or whatever.

26. Post #26
    October 2008
    225 Posts
    I can imagine a player crewed ship.

Genericcaptain: Navigation take us to that position.

Navigation Guy: *AFK*
    Actually if the people were AFK or not online a Computer would take over for them.

27. Post #27
    CRAP AT GEOGRAPHY
    June 2005
    6,656 Posts
    In my opinion, player crewed ships could ONLY have ended up badly. :|

Think about it. You first start off, where are you? In someone else's ship. Sure, you MIGHT get to choose, but you might not. You might get stuck in some shitty job on the ship, etc.

Now, not only that, you'd be at the mercy of your Captain and any officers above you. So if they're assholes, guess what buddy?!

Not only that, but imagine if you finally manage to get your own starship. not only would half your crew probably fuck off because of the above, they hate the game / starting off, god knows how many would be fucking griefers. Idiots not doing what you want, idiots doing the wrong thing, idiots intentionally fucking up the ship, etc.

Not to mention the fact that communication amongst all the important players would be REALLY FUCKING HARD and getting it all to mesh together seamlessly (what with lag, time zones, clientside graphics glitches, etc) would be hard as hell too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Useful Useful x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    March 2009
    739 Posts
    I'll name myself Jack Sparrow and become a space pirate

YEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Estonia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2008
    7,561 Posts
    In my opinion, player crewed ships could ONLY have ended up badly. :|

Think about it. You first start off, where are you? In someone else's ship. Sure, you MIGHT get to choose, but you might not. You might get stuck in some shitty job on the ship, etc.

Now, not only that, you'd be at the mercy of your Captain and any officers above you. So if they're assholes, guess what buddy?!

Not only that, but imagine if you finally manage to get your own starship. not only would half your crew probably fuck off because of the above, they hate the game / starting off, god knows how many would be fucking griefers. Idiots not doing what you want, idiots doing the wrong thing, idiots intentionally fucking up the ship, etc.

Not to mention the fact that communication amongst all the important players would be REALLY FUCKING HARD and getting it all to mesh together seamlessly (what with lag, time zones, clientside graphics glitches, etc) would be hard as hell too.

And everybody has to be online at the same time too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

30. Post #30
    CRAP AT GEOGRAPHY
    June 2005
    6,656 Posts
    And everybody has to be online at the same time too.
    I was going to mention that, but like the other guy said, if someone was AFK (I'm assuming it would extend to offline as well) that a computer would take over.

If you ask me, considering the unreliability of most people (Especially in video games), a lot of the stuff would be controlled by computers ANYWAY. So why even bother with player crews?

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    2,527 Posts
    What the fuck is that. The character trailer has STAR WARS like music.

Went from this:

TO:

Cryptic ruined what the game was going to be. They took out what was going to be great: focusing on the INTERIOR of the ships and character based roleplay and replaced it with shitty graphics and basically no interaction within the ship. It was going to be more like an online Simulator than an MMORPG.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

32. Post #32
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    This is why MMO's are hilarious.

Children bitch and moan about every aspect even BEFORE it's released.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,625 Posts
    What the fuck is that. The character trailer has STAR WARS like music.

Went from this:

TO:

Cryptic ruined what the game was going to be. They took out what was going to be great: focusing on the INTERIOR of the ships and character based roleplay and replaced it with shitty graphics and basically no interaction within the ship. It was going to be more like an online Simulator than an MMORPG.
    Yes, it went from concept art to a working game
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 14Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,495 Posts
    New stuff to the OP: The "In Depth" section and some clarifications elsewhere.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    604 Posts
    PC Gamer reviewed it and they said it is amazing even in an early build I can not wait for this game
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    2,527 Posts
    Yes, it went from concept art to a working game
    Nope those were in-game screenshots.

In the akira photo (a larger one) you can see all the debug information at the top left hand side of the screen.

Perpetual was going for the best graphics and class possible while Cryptic is going for some shitty refit of city of heroes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

37. Post #37
    October 2008
    2,014 Posts
    Graphics demands would of been a little too high for mass numbers to play it.

Not that I cared, my new comp can run it just fine and I was really looking forward to an MMO that had the gameplay and pushed for good graphics.

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    18,854 Posts
    Nope those were in-game screenshots.

In the akira photo (a larger one) you can see all the debug information at the top left hand side of the screen.

Perpetual was going for the best graphics and class possible while Cryptic is going for some shitty refit of city of heroes.
    Just because they were in-game shots doesn't mean it still wasn't just a concept. In this case they were concept renders not concept art.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

39. Post #39
    The Mad Scientist
    September 2008
    20,462 Posts
    Man, i cant wait.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    11,053 Posts
    oh god oh god oh god
    what should I do
    get a 6 month subscription to a game i wont play to get into the beta or just wait it out

http://www.champions-online.com/exclusive_specials