1. Post #1
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    The old thread was auto locked. Below are the highlights of the previous thread. If you feel something is missing, PM me.

Highlights

I'm not an artist so my gradients suck, yes. But it's supposed to look like it gets darker further into the tunnel.

Third boss in the making. I need to make sprites. FFF.
    To continue with my useless programs, I wrote a program which creates a mosaic of a bigger picture using smaller pictures. (Inspired by that WoW one)

Took me about 4 hours, still a lot to fix (Like why is firefox so red?) :(

Done a chat box! The messages here are relayed through the server, so you know that shit works. The text box and the blue fading thing background image are hidden until you press tab, then they fade in. You can hide it by pressing tab once more or escape in which case everything fades out but the text stays, so it behaves just like source.
    Made from scratch

Nowhere near done, about 50% with HTML and layout. Then I'll take the PHP from version one and rewrite a lot of it and intergrate it into this.

oh god

Changed the HUD a bit. New spell (Lesser Heal).

Bloom is out till I get to my own computer.
    Guitar hero clone

Now I can edit the terrain with my mouse and I've made the shadows look more realistic.

(That black outline on a bit of the F is due to me accidentally raising the point too high, and creating a shape I've not programmed it to shade correctly)

now you can zoom in and out. Also added fog(its in the options menu to turn it on and off). Fixed a lot of random bugs.

Link to play/try: http://davidjokinen.com/play.php
    Finally got some more time to work on my farm game. Got multiple tile types with different textures implemented:

Collision detection next I guess

edit:

Oh wait I might do the skybox next
    Almost finished. This thing isn't tied to any particular game, so any new game with tiles, being programmed in any language, could utilise this tile editor.

Memorable posts

and yes, I stole the normalmap image from Garrys Botch :ssh:
    Don't worry, I stole it from google images..

No I mean when you start a fullscreen game, it usually flickers a little before it goes fullscreen.
    Many games do that on purpose to "look professional" because games have been doing that for a long time.
    BRB adding Sleep( 30000 ) to the start of GMod to look more professional
    BRB adding Sleep( 30000 ) to the start of GMod to look more professional
    uhh. isn't it already there?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 20Useful Useful x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    September 2001
    12,320 Posts
    At the moment Botch, when running in windowed mode, creates a desktop sized back buffer. I thought this was better because you don't have to recreate it when the window is resized.

But now I'm regretting it. Is the proper way to create a backbuffer the same size as the panel it's rendering in to? Doesn't that fuck up when textures have to be a power of two?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    425 Posts
    At the moment Botch, when running in windowed mode, creates a desktop sized back buffer. I thought this was better because you don't have to recreate it when the window is resized.

But now I'm regretting it. Is the proper way to create a backbuffer the same size as the panel it's rendering in to? Doesn't that fuck up when textures have to be a power of two?
    oh cool you're still working on it!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    1,774 Posts
    Awh nothing of mine up there in the OP :( Oh well..

Currently working on not much.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    2,726 Posts

won't running the game in windowed mode make it run slower because DWM is rendering the desktop and aero effects?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    7,513 Posts
    Making a super high quality pong remake...

I can't make a quality complex game because I am one man and it will always be crappy in places no matter what anyone says.

So I'm making the simplest of games with the absolute best quality.

Also, needs moar V1 highlights. Just click reply to the OP of the V2 and copy paste all the quote stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    1,515 Posts
    Also, needs moar V1 highlights. Just click reply to the OP of the V2 and copy paste all the quote stuff.
    He can't, it's locked.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,391 Posts

Wouldn't it better to have the backbuffer the proper size, rather than having to squish the image into the window? Plus it might look better, and potentially be faster to render. I might be getting the wrong end of the stick though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

9. Post #9
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    Nah, imagine the OP of V5 with all the highlights. We'll just keep it in the original threads.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    860 Posts
    Working on a program that generates social graphs/maps based on steam community friends.

An example:

The program runs as an IRC bot that can generate a graph, and then upload it, based on someone's steam community url.

You can see more examples here: http://deadcode.info/maps/

If you're interested in generating some of these graphs, feel free to connect to irc.gamesurge.net, and join #luahelp later today. If you see a person named "voidy" in the channel, that's the bot.

The command to generate a map is "!map <steam name>".

Some other interesting graphs:
    Robin Walker
    If you thought that was huge, Spacetech
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 14 (list)

11. Post #11
    July 2008
    234 Posts
    Working on a program that generates social graphs/maps based on steam community friends.

An example:

The program runs as an IRC bot that can generate a graph, and then upload it, based on someone's steam community url.

If you're interested in generating some of these graphs, feel free to connect to irc.gamesurge.net, and join #luahelp later today. If you see a person named "voidy" in the channel, that's the bot.

Robin Walker
    Looks confusing as shit
    More space in-between
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    1,774 Posts

An example:
    <image>

Robin Walker
    Very cool, make it arrange all the user names in a circle and see what interesting patterns form.

13. Post #13
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    What language is it written in (and with which library)?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    860 Posts
    What language is it written in (and with which library)?
    C#. For graphing it makes use of QuickGraph for data structures, and Graphviz for rendering. The html scraping is done using HtmlAgilityPack. The IRC aspect is done using my own IRC library, IrcLib3.

Very cool, make it arrange all the user names in a circle and see what interesting patterns form.
    That's entirely possible, there are graphing algorithms in graphviz called circo and twopi, but they produce incredibly large images. The algorithm I chose was neato, because it describes compact graphs, but contains many options for how the nodes and edges should be laid out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    2,001 Posts
    That looks sweet. Here is mine :D

http://deadcode.info/maps/ZomBuster_17_26_2.png

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    2,661 Posts
    You didn't add my video :(.

17. Post #17
    Paid for a title.
    June 2005
    6,175 Posts
    After thinking about how cool they are, I've tried to code one of those selection circles (They're in L4D).
    Obviously hard to show, but I'll try.

I made it display the top left corner of the tooltip on the circle according to the angle mouse movement, then traced a line (red) from the center to whatever direction and as you can see, the line hit the source of the box pretty good and the displayed is also correct. (It's live. When I move my mouse around the tooltip follows the motions)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,332 Posts
    Namelezz, do you do your own art-work? It's so clean and crisp.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    I'm in Computer Science 121 at my community college, and we're doing our first Java program. It's just a miles per gallon calculator, but I went a little overboard with it. It should only be 10 lines at the most, but I got it to 70. :smug:

/* This program calculates MPG based
     * on user input.
     */
    package org.cs121.mpg;

import java.util.InputMismatchException;
    import java.util.Scanner;

/**
     * @author PvtCupcakes
     */
    public class MPG {
    	public enum InputType { MILES, GALLONS };

public MPG() {
        }

public double getInput(InputType type) {
    		String prompt = getPrompt(type);

System.out.printf("%s: ", prompt);

return nextDouble();
        }

public double getMpg(double miles, double gallons) {
            return miles/gallons;
        }

public double nextDouble() {
    		Scanner in = new Scanner(System.in);

try {
                return in.nextDouble();
            } catch (InputMismatchException ex) {
                System.out.printf("Not a number.  Try again\n");
                return nextDouble();
            }
    	}

public String getPrompt(InputType type) {
    		String prompt = "";
    		switch(type) {
    			case GALLONS:
    				prompt = "Enter the gallons of gas used";
    				break;
    			case MILES:
    				prompt = "Enter the miles travelled";
    				break;
    			default:
    				/*
    				 * This will never happen because the
    				 * compiler will give an error if using
    				 * an InputType that doesn't exist
    				 */
    				break;
    		}

return prompt;
    	}

public static void main(String[] args) {
            MPG mpg = new MPG();

double miles = mpg.getInput(InputType.MILES);
            double gallons = mpg.getInput(InputType.GALLONS);
            System.out.printf("The mpg is: %.2f\n", mpg.getMpg(miles, gallons));
        }
    }

Edited:

We haven't "learned" 99% of this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Funny Funny x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    1,647 Posts
    You should really see if you can test out.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    You should really see if you can test out.
    I'm not sure if I can at my school, but I could check.
    I already paid for the book and the class, so it doesn't matter either way.

22. Post #22
    September 2008
    197 Posts

(Click for larger image)

Working on a deobfuscator for .net control flow obfuscation. I swear I have written/rewritten the algorithm it uses over 10 times.

Before it was buggy, would break exes, etc. The current version works "perfectly". The exe runs fine and all the methods are "deobfuscated". There is 1 last thing I have to do which is have it sort the jumps because right now some methods wont display in reflector as C#/etc because it jumps to the end and jumps back. I already have an algorithm in my mind to use and hopefully it works :D.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,036 Posts
    I'm in Computer Science 121 at my community college, and we're doing our first Java program. It's just a miles per gallon calculator, but I went a little overboard with it. It should only be 10 lines at the most, but I got it to 70. :smug:

//java code

Edited:

We haven't "learned" 99% of this.
    I remember when I wrote my first Java program (a counter) in school we had to write System.out.println(whatever) in important places so we could understand what was happening. When I was finished, everyone was still writing their programs and I began writing one after every line.
    That was fun.

You could make it static too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Austria Show Events

24. Post #24
    August 2009
    51 Posts
    discrete cosine transform

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 7 (list)

25. Post #25
    Dennab
    March 2009
    1,572 Posts
    Moar WebSnipper, submissions/cropping images and whatnot :)

26. Post #26
    September 2005
    1,115 Posts
    discrete cosine transform
    Sorta reminds me of those readouts on random displays in Doom 3

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    588 Posts
    So after ages of doing nothing due to lack of motivation amongst other things, I've been spending the last few days working on my maze game again.

I've added some things like bitmap fonts to my engine which have been long overdue to replace the default fonts from before that aren't good for big text.

I've finally completed resolution scaling on the engine as well, so now everything will show up correctly proportioned on any resolution people throw at the game.

I've added text input as you might have guessed from the end of the last thread.

Been beefing up the map editor as well:

All that's left now is to start adding more and more content like traps, keys, doors etc so the game is actually fun to play
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4 (list)

28. Post #28
    February 2009
    853 Posts
    Can we have a download link please?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    588 Posts
    Can we have a download link please?
    I'll be releasing a beta soon, I'm gonna try it out on a few friends computers first so I can see any problems first hand.

30. Post #30
    February 2009
    853 Posts
    Yay
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    588 Posts
    Well things went a lot smoother than I thought on other computers, so beta release ahoy:

To run the game you'll need to run the OpenAL installer that's in the .rar, it literally takes a few seconds

http://filesmelt.com/downloader/Mazia_Beta.rar

Notes:
    - When selecting what map to play, click the yellow arrows until you find one you like, then just click somewhere on the screen (would it be better to have a specific button?)

- Currently the collision detection is rubbish, that's one of the things you'll find annoying when playing and one of the things I'm going to work on next.

- All the source sounds and images aren't merged with the exe yet so they're all in folders for you to laugh at and steal.

- Yes I'm aware my method for alpha/transparency would be easier with .png.

- Not much sounds at the moment, but more will come soon.

- The game isn't fun to play at the moment really cause I've been concentrating on making everything else other than game content. Now that the hard bit is out of the way, I can move onto more fun stuff.

- I would love to here about any bugs you find and any suggestions you may have.

Controls:

Menus:
    Mouse (duh)

Play mode:
    WASD/Mouse to move/look around
    F to drop marker flags (this sometimes happens in the editor too, I need to fix that)
    Esc or pause to get the pause/resume/quit menu

Editor:
    Mouse to select tools and options and navigate map
    Q/E also switches between tools
    WASD to move the placement tool (I'll add support for the mouse with this later)
    F to delete stuff (start/end flags can only be moved once placed)
    Space to place stuff
    Enter is quicksave

Notes about the editor:
    - The tick or cross on the save button denotes whether the version you have open is identical to the saved version (whether you've made changes in other words)

- You can make maps without start and end points but it's a bit pointless.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    3,661 Posts
    Downloading need to play it!!!

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    2,019 Posts

(Click for larger image)

Working on a deobfuscator for .net control flow obfuscation. I swear I have written/rewritten the algorithm it uses over 10 times.

Before it was buggy, would break exes, etc. The current version works "perfectly". The exe runs fine and all the methods are "deobfuscated". There is 1 last thing I have to do which is have it sort the jumps because right now some methods wont display in reflector as C#/etc because it jumps to the end and jumps back. I already have an algorithm in my mind to use and hopefully it works :D.
    hey fuck u high

(User was banned for this post ("Trolling" - verynicelady))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

34. Post #34
    December 2007
    1,113 Posts

Another video of my tile-based puzzle game.

Added a new element and created a little puzzle to test two player instances.
    Feel free to suggest me elements or mechanics.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Italy Show Events Useful Useful x 5Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    August 2009
    51 Posts
    Code:
    float[] dct = new float[len];
    for(int i = 0; i < len; i++) {
      float sum = 0;
      for(int j = 0; j < len; j++) {
        sum += data[j] * cos(PI/len*(j+0.5)*i);
      }
      dct[i] = sum;
    }

float[] idct = new float[len];
    for(int i = 0; i < len; i++) {
      float sum = 0;
      for(int j = 1; j < len; j++) {
        sum += dct[j] * cos(PI/len*j*(i+0.5));
      }
      idct[i] = 1/len + sum;
    }
    some dct code for ya'll
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    8,520 Posts

http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/1109...crimegame2.php

Just finished some stuff, you can break in now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    4,584 Posts

404 error. Sure that's the correct link?

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    8,520 Posts
    404 error. Sure that's the correct link?
    Fixed it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    2,001 Posts
    So Yesterday when I tried VoiDeDs social graph generator,
    he mentioned they added xml support (like this) for steam friends after he requested it. I though it would be cool and not too hard to do something with it too and I made a little console program that prints out someone steam friends.

Using cURL and TinyXML
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    August 2009
    987 Posts

is there anything past the garage?