1. Post #1
    The Cold Wind Of France
    November 2008
    18,613 Posts
    An application of mine is being quite glitched under Windows 7 x64 and invocates the Help Center for no reason each time I click a button, so I'd like to disable it.

I've looked under services.msc and msconfig to no avail, alas. The executable name is "helppane.exe"

It displays the exact same thing "Why can't I have help for that program?" if I go into "Start -> Execute" and type winhlp32.exe

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    2,880 Posts
    go to secpol.msc (open it in command prompt), go to the "Software restriction policies", right click "Add new software restriction". Then go to "Additional Rulese", right click on it and select "New Path Rule". Add the path to the executable you want to stop running.

I do this with antivir-free to stop the annoying advert-banner which pops up after every update.

Note: This only works on Versions above or equal to Win 7 Professional (For XP, it only works on Prof, for Vista it works with Business afaik)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Useful Useful x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    The Cold Wind Of France
    November 2008
    18,613 Posts
    go to secpol.msc (open it in command prompt), go to the "Software restriction policies", right click "Add new software restriction". Then go to "Additional Rulese", right click on it and select "New Path Rule". Add the path to the executable you want to stop running.

I do this with antivir-free to stop the annoying advert-banner which pops up after every update.

Note: This only works on Versions above or equal to Win 7 Professional (For XP, it only works on Prof, for Vista it works with Business afaik)
    Thanks a lot

Will this work with W7 Home Edition when it gets released

EDIT: just tested, doesn't work, what the hell; maybe it's because the application requires to be run as admin?
    EDIT: now it only does this with some clicks... oh well, it's the functions I almost never use anyways

Thanks

Edited:

Aha, never mind, I had to block winhlp32.exe as well!

4. Post #4

September 2011
    1 Posts
    Hi,
    I’ve just had the same problem with files from Norton 360 and from O2 Connection Manager popping up all the time. I tried the command “secpol.msc” in cmd on my Windows 7 Home edition but it does not work.
    Any help appreciated, thanks

Edited:

It's Windows 7 Home Premium that I have by the way. Thanks
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    XP1
    March 2012
    1 Posts
    Rename or delete "%WINDIR%\HelpPane.exe".

Works on Windows Vista.

Run "Disable help.bat" as administrator:
    Code:
    takeown /f "%WINDIR%\HelpPane.exe"
    icacls "%WINDIR%\HelpPane.exe" /grant Administrators:F
    ren "%WINDIR%\HelpPane.exe" "HelpPane.exe.bak"

takeown /f "%WINDIR%\winhlp32.exe"
    icacls "%WINDIR%\winhlp32.exe" /grant Administrators:F
    ren "%WINDIR%\winhlp32.exe" "winhlp32.exe.bak"