1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    1,497 Posts
    US APNewsAlert
    (AP) – 10 hours ago
    PORTLAND, Maine — Maine voters repeal a state law that would have allowed gay couples to marry
    Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
    :canofworms:

The story is still developing; the vote passed 53%/47%

Here's a recent reaction photo:

Look at their faces. It's like they've won the lottery, but it's the smallest jackpot they've ever won. How can these people can celebrate such a decision let alone in the name of God? I lend thanks to all the pastors, reverends, and priests who fought against the love of two people because that's exactly the thing that Jesus would have done. Naturally.

“God has given us this victory,” Emrich [a pastor and main contributor] continued, “and it is very important for us to recognize that he is the one who put the energy into this campaign. So let’s not be so arrogant to forget this. It’s very appropriate to pause for a moment of prayer.”
    It's sad that this bigotry still exists, never mind being treated as intellectual discourse in the news today. It's become a game of us-versus them where people pick sides and battle it like a team sport. We've seen time and time again that we can't let the majority vote for rights on minorities because it winds up like two wolves and a sheep discussing what should be for dinner. This needs to go all the way up to the top and no supreme court judge in good faith can say that this isn't a violation of the constitution.

Half of Maine is left wondering what the hell is up with their state right now. I'm left wondering why the he hell the government has a say in who I can marry.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree x 107Dumb x 12Optimistic x 10Disagree x 2Late x 1Friendly x 1Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    July 2009
    4,689 Posts
    This is absolutely appalling.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree x 131Disagree x 13Funny x 1Bad Spelling x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    DERAILER OF THREADS DESTROYER OF IDIOTS
    February 2009
    25,780 Posts
    The people have decided and voted.

Now the losers get to bitch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 101Agree Agree x 23Funny Funny x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #4

The people are fucking assholes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 117Disagree Disagree x 12Dumb Dumb x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    February 2009
    25,780 Posts
    Also, athiests need to realize that, just because they believe they're right doesn't make them the majority everywhere.

Edited:

The people are fucking assholes.
    That's irrelevant.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb x 117Agree x 11Funny x 2Disagree x 2Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Also, athiests need to realize that, just because they believe they're right doesn't make them the majority everywhere.
    Just because you're the majority doesn't make it right that you take away rights from others that you have.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 132Disagree Disagree x 7 (list)

7. Post #7
    July 2009
    4,689 Posts
    Yes, because this is an atheist issue.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 46Dumb Dumb x 6Funny Funny x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    Yes, because this is an atheist issue.
    Clearly Christians can't possibly accept letting gays marry.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree x 68Disagree x 6Friendly x 1Funny x 1Artistic x 1Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    ultimate poster
    November 2007
    13,580 Posts
    You're going to be very popular in this thread, I can already tell.

On topic, this is ridiculous. I can't believe homophobia is still this prevalent. I can't bash the methods through which the decision was made, it's perfectly acceptable based on our constitution, but this is like repealing black people's right to vote. It's fucking stupid.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 37 (list)

10. Post #10
    February 2009
    25,780 Posts
    Just because you're the majority doesn't make it right that you take away rights from others that you have.
    Bawww majority of the people in that state don't like gay marriage.

As a conservative, I don't like the liberal policies in my state, but the majority of the people here still vote for them, so I don't bitch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 73Agree Agree x 4 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    2,437 Posts
    Well that's fucking gay.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny x 94Optimistic x 5Agree x 2Dumb x 2Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,733 Posts
    What's the point of voting if the losers can just have a new vote?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 36Funny Funny x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    February 2009
    25,780 Posts
    Clearly Christians can't possibly accept letting gays marry.
    :catholic:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 26Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    2,437 Posts

The losers i.e. you. You're a loser.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 25Disagree Disagree x 6Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    February 2009
    25,780 Posts
    The losers i.e. you. You're a loser.
    I don't live in Maine, so I'm neither a winner or loser in that vote.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 23Bad Reading Bad Reading x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    Fjjjrraaaaaggggvooopp.

Hear that? You may not know it, but that was the sound of you deflecting the argument with childish condescension.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny x 71Agree x 3Friendly x 2Dumb x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    4,068 Posts

As a conservative, I don't like the liberal policies in my state, but the majority of the people here still vote for them, so I don't bitch.
    Who would have known.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Funny Funny x 43Agree Agree x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    February 2009
    25,780 Posts
    Fjjjrraaaaaggggvooopp.

Hear that? You may not know it, but that was the sound of you deflecting the argument with childish condescension.
    I see how you skipped out on the rest of what I said in that post.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 46 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    2,437 Posts
    Fjjjrraaaaaggggvooopp.

<3

You're awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 23Friendly Friendly x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    I see how you skipped out on the rest of what I said in that post.
    Which was completely irrelevant and about how you don't complain about liberal laws.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 25Funny Funny x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,630 Posts
    Why do same places still use religion as a form of government?

Fucking piece of shit religion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 41Dumb Dumb x 3Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    2,437 Posts

As a massive bigot who wants to fellate glenn beck's herpes-ridden penis, I don't like the liberal policies in my state, but the majority of the people here still vote for them, so I don't bitch.
    Fixed for you :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 63Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    February 2009
    25,780 Posts
    Which was completely irrelevant and about how you don't complain about liberal laws.
    I don't complain about liberal laws because that's what the majority vote in here.

The pro-gay marriage people in Maine shouldn't complain because it's what the majority voted.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 37Agree Agree x 2 (list)

24. Post #24
    sarcastic bastard
    October 2005
    5,118 Posts
    What a backwards state.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 28Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

25. Post #25
    February 2009
    25,780 Posts
    Why do same places still use religion as a form of government?

Fucking piece of shit religion.
    I know that atleast 36 states praise God and ask for his guidance in the preamble of their state constitution.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 36Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    sarcastic bastard
    October 2005
    5,118 Posts
    The pro-gay marriage people in Maine shouldn't complain because it's what the majority voted.
    What appalling logic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 31Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    I don't complain about liberal laws because that's what the majority vote in here.

Oh okay. So slavery was all good because it was what the majority wanted.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 58Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    2,437 Posts
    I know that atleast 36 states praise God and ask for his guidance in the preamble of their state constitution.
    Oh, i didn't know we lived in a theocracy, bigot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 25Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    February 2009
    25,780 Posts
    Oh okay. So slavery was all good because it was what the majority wanted.
    I didn't say whether gay marriage was good or bad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 39Agree Agree x 4 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gay for BDA
    November 2005
    8,483 Posts
    Excuse my ignorance and stupidity but why do they even allow gay marriage if it's going to be repealed to begin with?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Singapore Show Events Agree Agree x 24 (list)

31. Post #31
    February 2009
    25,780 Posts
    Oh, i didn't know we lived in a theocracy, bigot.
    Stating a fact about state constitutions makes me a bigot?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 26Agree Agree x 4 (list)

32. Post #32
    September 2007
    466 Posts
    This is ridiculous. It's not an issue of policy, plain and simple it's an issue of human rights; it should transcend party lines.

The funny thing is that, as much as all of these people are fighting gay marriage, I know that within my lifetime gay marriage will be legalized and we will look back and see this is as a case of people denying other people their civil rights. The people who oppose gay marriage now will be written down as bigots in the history book, which is exactly what they are.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 35Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

33. Post #33
    ultimate poster
    November 2007
    13,580 Posts
    I yearn for the day when "Seperation of Church and State" becomes a realized goal.

I'm not bashing Christianity, but taking away someone's right to do something that does no harm to anyone else just because your particular religious book says it's wrong is bullshit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 24Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    You just said we shouldn't complain about things the majority voted for. Slaves shouldn't have complained while being whipped because it was making most people happy?

Being the view of the majority doesn't make the law the manifest will of all people.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 30Disagree Disagree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    November 2009
    512 Posts
    Good job Maine, you proved that you're just another backwards state.

Pfft, Wiggles the ninja.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

36. Post #36
    Stating a fact about state constitutions makes me a bigot?
    I believe he was calling you a bigot based on the rest of your posts and simply adding it in there for reinforcement.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    December 2008
    5,045 Posts
    The bible says that homosexuality is wrong so i guess i can understand why christians dont want gays having christian weddings. But what about civil weddings
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 20 (list)

38. Post #38
    February 2009
    25,780 Posts
    I yearn for the day when "Seperation of Church and State" becomes a realized goal.

I'm not bashing Christianity, but taking away someone's right to do something that does no harm to anyone else just because your particular religious book says it's wrong is bullshit
    The government isn't taking away anything. The people voted for it. If their legistature had made laws against gay marriage because of religious beliefs, then there would be a 'seperation of church and state' issue.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 23Agree Agree x 4 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    20,530 Posts
    Having people vote on what civil rights a certain group of people can have is absolutely moronic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 20Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    3,353 Posts
    Emperor Scorpius, Hater of Gays, Liberals and Progress posted:

Quoting your fucking idiocy
    Thread should be renamed Boxes for Emperor Bigot
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Ireland Show Events Agree x 19Dumb x 4Disagree x 1Funny x 1Artistic x 1Bad Spelling x 1 (list)