1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    17,088 Posts

Its parent-teacher conferences made the evening news. So did cases of swine flu. And Sidwell Friends School has recently been the target of a few small protests that seem aimed at prominent parents, not students.

The school, long a favorite of Washington's leading families, is no stranger to presidential children. But in the months since Barack and Michelle Obama decided to send their daughters there, Sidwell has been pulled into the spotlight of a distinctly 21st-century culture -- one that is increasingly celebrity-obsessed and often shockingly unmannered.

Educators and others at Sidwell have portrayed this as what their most famous parent might call a "teachable moment."

When five anti-Obama, anti-gay protesters appeared in front of the school's Wisconsin Avenue NW entrance Monday morning, they were met by 150 Sidwell students waving signs ranging from "There is that of God in Everyone" to "I Kissed a Girl and I Liked It."

"I guess they think they can influence what we think because we're young and vulnerable," said Daniel Edminster, a Sidwell junior. "They can't."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...26806.html?g=0
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Optimistic x 15Funny x 7Informative x 3Friendly x 2Agree x 2Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Facepunch Babysitter
    July 2009
    12,422 Posts
    Fucking batshit insane Evangelical Christians.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree x 60Disagree x 6Funny x 1Dumb x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,661 Posts
    Who cares, it's Westboro.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 37Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    goatse
    January 2006
    33,017 Posts
    The
    World
    is
    Doomed
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Informative Informative x 4 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,661 Posts
    Even Fox News hates them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 43Funny Funny x 5Informative Informative x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    1,666 Posts
    Stupid christians god isnt real yea i dont think god is real if you have a problem with that fuck you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb x 15Optimistic x 9Agree x 6Funny x 2Disagree x 2Informative x 1Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    March 2007
    58 Posts
    Their antics are old news.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    goatse
    January 2006
    33,017 Posts
    God is real, don't like that, god bless you and die
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 30Disagree Disagree x 2Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    7,755 Posts
    If they tried it at my school they would be met with glass bottles filled with piss.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 15Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,028 Posts
    I'm not a violent person, and I wouldn't really want to hurt any other human being, I don't think it's really conducive to my life, quite frankly.

That being said, I don't consider the members of that church human and I would thoroughly enjoy watching them die.

If they tried it at my school they would be met with glass bottles filled with piss.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 26Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    June 2007
    2,774 Posts
    Because the best message to impress onto children is that an omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent being hates you and personally you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 15Optimistic Optimistic x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    17,088 Posts
    I think its really weird how they are Baptist Christian and say that God hates everyone and stuff like that.. Its like an oxymoron or something. I dont even know what to call it.. my mind is still blown that these people exist and have such an ass-backwards mindset.
    I'm not a bible thumper or anything, but what the hell is their problem?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

13. Post #13
    Glod Menber
    June 2008
    6,721 Posts
    This is why religion sucks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb x 22Agree x 12Disagree x 3Artistic x 1Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,028 Posts
    This is why ignorance, extremism, and lack of education sucks.
    ^
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 54Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    Glod Menber
    June 2008
    6,721 Posts
    -snip-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8Informative Informative x 2Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    -
    Dennab
    May 2006
    10,178 Posts
    If I could kill Fred Phelps and get away with it, I would. He's sub-human. Less than an animal, even. He's a fucking insect, and someone should smash him.

Not just for this shit, but for everything else he's done, too. The only thing that would satisfy me as much as hearing he'd been killed would be hearing he'd been put in prison and brutally sodomized.

EDIT: Then again, the inmates fucking him might be charged with bestiality.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Funny x 12Informative x 7Agree x 3Artistic x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    4,102 Posts
    Calling them Christians is insulting to actual Christians. They're just pricks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 29Disagree Disagree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    17,088 Posts
    Agree. I'm Baptist and this makes me want to cry.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Friendly Friendly x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,867 Posts
    There should be an anti-WBC but trying reasoning with them is like trying to dodge rain drops.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,028 Posts
    They just call themselves a Baptist Christian Church and appear to be citing views held in Christianity (which quite frankly, they aren't even close) to try and legitimize their blind hatred.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 5Informative Informative x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    April 2007
    981 Posts
    I'm an atheist :smug:.

I understand they're absolutely stupid, but I find that being overly religious is stupid too.
    Being overly anything is absolutely stupid.

Edit:

But yeah these people are absolutely disgusting. But no matter how bad they are, so long as they are not infringing on the rights of others, they have the right to believe what they want.

Though I do think they have crossed the line.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

22. Post #22
    The Doctor Is In
    September 2009
    24,005 Posts
    Agree times 100.

People like this make me rage because of how stupid they are.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,176 Posts
    Who cares, it's Westboro.
    This. They're just angling for attention, we shouldn't give them any.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    1,201 Posts
    I still don't understand their beliefs. If the world is doom/God hates you (Them), what on earth are they trying to do?

Rate bad reading
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Singapore Show Events Bad Reading Bad Reading x 2 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,881 Posts
    That's fucking hilarious.

I mean if I take it seriously it's bad, but honestly I just can't see this as anything other than a huge joke.

They don't really take themselves seriously do they?

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    17,088 Posts
    That's fucking hilarious.

I mean if I take it seriously it's bad, but honestly I just can't see this as anything other than a huge joke.

They don't really take themselves seriously do they?
    They do. I.E., real life trolls though...

27. Post #27
    I'M A SHAAARK!
    October 2009
    14,832 Posts
    Fred Phelps: "God hates...uhh... I'm gonna need more fingers."

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    7,237 Posts
    I still don't understand their beliefs. If the world is doom/God hates you (Them), what on earth are they trying to do?

Rate bad reading
    They're just IRL trolls.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    639 Posts
    Ignore them and they'll go away. They feed off all of the attention the media gives them.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,577 Posts
    Damn them to hell!

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,354 Posts
    I love that the students went outside in force with their own picket signs. Nice to see them not being affected by the Westboro shite.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    300 Posts
    I never understood the whole picketing thing for things like this(or anything generally). Why would anyone decide to make signs and stand in protest on the other side of the road against people who are basically real-life trolls? That would probably be close to #1 on my list of absolutely pointless ways to waste your life, as you achieve nothing and give them free publicity. Do they expect these extremists(aren't they actually taking the bible more literally than most?) to change their views due to a small counter-protest like this? I just don't understand what would compel anyone to do such a thing.

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    4,068 Posts
    I think they are talking about another god than the one I heard of.

By the way: Could you actually go to the police and say they insulted you when they hold those signs up to your nose? I would feel insulted by their dumbness.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    1,201 Posts
    I think they are talking about another god than the one I heard of.

By the way: Could you actually go to the police and say they insulted you when they hold those signs up to your nose? I would feel insulted by their dumbness.
    It's America, they'll get away with it.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    4,068 Posts
    It's America, they'll get away with it.
    Until someone goes out and kills them. Wouldn't surprise me either.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Judge, Jury, & Executioner
    September 2005
    63,846 Posts
    why hasn't some nutter shot them dead yet? i was expecting somebody to by now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    4,068 Posts
    why hasn't some nutter shot them dead yet? i was expecting somebody to by now
    They could justify it with god hating the Westboro Church.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    5,261 Posts
    At least the Jews are happy that someone else hates Westboro just to get the hate off them, and see how Westboro likes to get hated on.

39. Post #39
    Judge, Jury, & Executioner
    September 2005
    63,846 Posts
    They could justify it with god hating the Westboro Church.
    well he'd be about as legit as they are
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    5,261 Posts
    They troll in real life like moralfags.