1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    12,407 Posts
    [release]Marks and Spencer's Christmas advert featuring Ashes to Ashes actor Philip Glenister has been branded as sexist.

The Advertising Standards Authority is looking into eight complaints from viewers about the "Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without..." ad.

Glenister, who played chauvinist DCI Gene Hunt in the BBC show, says: "That girl prancing around in her underwear."

The ad cuts to a model, wearing a bra and knickers, who asks: "Moi?" M&S said the complaints had come as a surprise.

'Demeaning'

The French underwear model Noemie Lenoir, who twirls around in a winter woodland scene, is a regular in Marks and Spencer's advertising campaign, alongside Myleene Klass and Twiggy.

An ASA spokeswoman said eight people had been in contact to complain that Glenister's comment, coupled with the shot of Lenoir in her underwear, was demeaning to women.

The advertising watchdog will now consider the complaints and decide by the end of next week whether to launch an investigation.

The 50-second commercial also features several other big TV names, including Stephen Fry and James Nesbitt, who each say what they could not do without at Christmas.

In one segment, Jennifer Saunders says "stuffing" and Joanna Lumley, her co-star in BBC comedy Absolutely Fabulous, adds: "...your face, sweetie."

A spokesman for Marks and Spencer said: "We're surprised by the ASA complaints regarding Philip Glenister's appearance in our TV ad.

"Our research shows that his on-screen character in Ashes to Ashes is extremely popular with our customers and his lines in the ad are in keeping with that role." [/release]
    Source

The advert in question:

He made the advert for me, plus we got a sexy girl in lingerie to boot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,264 Posts
    Meh. I didn't find it offensive when I saw it on TV, just a little odd.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    1,312 Posts
    Moi :fappery:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    I like to constantly remind everyone that I do illegal drugs. I squeeze it into all posts.
    Dennab
    October 2006
    4,044 Posts
    What fuck is this shit?

I'm pretty sure no one wants to see some fat 40 year old man prancing around in his boxers.

Edited:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 16Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member

October 2009
    4,925 Posts
    What the fuck is it already christmas season already jesus christ I hate this holiday
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    August 2008
    382 Posts
    Go on gene

7. Post #7
    sarcastic bastard
    October 2005
    5,085 Posts
    Why even bother to consider an investigation after eight complaints?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,041 Posts
    I think I read the title wrong:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Knidq8QClHw

9. Post #9
    November 2007
    507 Posts
    I don't see what's wrong with the ad, just looks like every other Christmas commercial out there. Except having Wallace and Gromit in it instantly made it 10x better then the others.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 21 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,495 Posts
    I thought it was cute.

Well, until the end, then it got :fappery:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    12,407 Posts
    They need to look like they're doing something about it since it's now in the media spotlight.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    2,963 Posts
    Stupid people. It's not like they were showing Hitler in his undies prancing about London.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    NATURALLY WIRED TO HAVE SEX WITH KIDS
    June 2007
    8,793 Posts
    What fuck is this shit?

I'm pretty sure no one wants to see some fat 40 year old man prancing around in his boxers.

Edited:

Well maybe if he weren't fat.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Jesus christ just shut up.
    that's entire point of his character if they actually watched Ashes to Ashes. It's meant to be a representation of what Britain once was.

HURF DURF EROSION OF WOMEN'S RIGHTS BECAUSE AN ACTOR SAID SOMETHING IN CHARACTER FUCK

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    2,454 Posts
    God, the Wallace and Gromit part made this video for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,326 Posts
    To me it looked like it was making fun of how much of a lonely lowlife that guy was. Dumb feminists.

Edited:

Also eight complaints and it makes the news, huh? This could be fun...

17. Post #17
    April 2009
    965 Posts
    argh I hate chirstmas

christmas songs are THE WORST
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    June 2008
    98 Posts
    So few people call in to complain about anything but they have to justify their jobs, so they just end up investigating every little thing that gets a few complaints.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    4,720 Posts
    Damn, she's hot. :fappery:

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    725 Posts
    Honestly, how soft have we become.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    May 2009
    1,801 Posts
    I don't find it sexist when they show a bunch of hunky guys JUST for looks. Bitches need to shut the fuck up and get on with life. I suppose they're pissed off cause they can't get any.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    October 2005
    145 Posts
    That girl has been seen in her underwear in the previous M&S christmas ads for 2+ years now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Ireland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member

November 2005
    11,757 Posts
    Oh no! SOMEONE HINTED TO SOMETHING SEXY, THEREFORE IT IS BAD BECAUSE CHILDREN WILL RAPE 30 WOMEN AND GO ON A SHOOTOUT.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    3,044 Posts
    Aww I like those M&S adverts, that girl is sexy!

25. Post #25
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,081 Posts
    Wait what was offensive about that?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    November 2009
    222 Posts
    The horrible accent those people are speaking English with

oh wait
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    6,708 Posts
    if it were a guy instead of a women no complaints would have been filed

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    7,239 Posts
    Oh no! SOMEONE HINTED TO SOMETHING SEXY, THEREFORE IT IS BAD BECAUSE CHILDREN WILL RAPE 30 WOMEN AND GO ON A SHOOTOUT.
    :siren::foxnews::siren:

29. Post #29
    DVD Rewinder Whistleblower
    February 2007
    1,573 Posts
    [release]Marks and Spencer's Christmas advert featuring Ashes to Ashes actor Philip Glenister has been branded as sexist.

The Advertising Standards Authority is looking into eight complaints from viewers about the "Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without..." ad.

Glenister, who played chauvinist DCI Gene Hunt in the BBC show, says: "That girl prancing around in her underwear."

The ad cuts to a model, wearing a bra and knickers, who asks: "Moi?" M&S said the complaints had come as a surprise.

'Demeaning'

The French underwear model Noemie Lenoir, who twirls around in a winter woodland scene, is a regular in Marks and Spencer's advertising campaign, alongside Myleene Klass and Twiggy.

An ASA spokeswoman said eight people had been in contact to complain that Glenister's comment, coupled with the shot of Lenoir in her underwear, was demeaning to women.

The advertising watchdog will now consider the complaints and decide by the end of next week whether to launch an investigation.

The 50-second commercial also features several other big TV names, including Stephen Fry and James Nesbitt, who each say what they could not do without at Christmas.

In one segment, Jennifer Saunders says "stuffing" and Joanna Lumley, her co-star in BBC comedy Absolutely Fabulous, adds: "...your face, sweetie."

A spokesman for Marks and Spencer said: "We're surprised by the ASA complaints regarding Philip Glenister's appearance in our TV ad.

"Our research shows that his on-screen character in Ashes to Ashes is extremely popular with our customers and his lines in the ad are in keeping with that role." [/release]
    Source

The advert in question:

He made the advert for me, plus we got a sexy girl in lingerie to boot.
    So 8 people got offended, so now they have to work on re-doing the whole damn commercial because of eight people?

:eng99:

30. Post #30
    NATURALLY WIRED TO HAVE SEX WITH KIDS
    June 2007
    8,793 Posts
    So 8 people got offended, so now they have to work on re-doing the whole damn commercial because of eight people?

:eng99:
    Redoing the whole commercial? More than likely they're just going to cut out that one part or slightly edit it.

31. Post #31
    caw caw motherfuckers
    July 2007
    7,908 Posts
    seems like a great commercial to me

32. Post #32
    Gold Member

November 2005
    11,757 Posts
    This isn't just an Advert, this is a Raunchy, sexy and flirty M&S advert that will make your pants rip off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    14,069 Posts
    It's funny, because no one complains about the Victorias Secret or other Lingerie shops advertising their stuff. Especially in commercials, where all you see are almost nude women wearing lingerie/underwear, and when a woman is plastered onto a billboard where her tits are the main thing you see.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    5,410 Posts
    i watched it, i see nothing offensive :psyduck:

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,300 Posts
    It's funny, because no one complains about the Victorias Secret or other Lingerie shops advertising their stuff. Especially in commercials, where all you see are almost nude women wearing lingerie/underwear, and when a woman is plastered onto a billboard where her tits are the main thing you see.

We have Anne Summers which is the English equivalent to Victorias Secret.
    And they have mannequins with lingerie on, which I find way worse.

And if they remove Philip Glenister/Gene Hunt from the M&S advert I will refuse to buy anything from them for christmas.

Edited:

i watched it, i see nothing offensive :psyduck:
    It has a women wearing very little in it.

OUTRAGE, BAN IT! BAN IT!

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,101 Posts
    I wanna slap the people who complained.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    11,008 Posts
    Call the joke police someone's using the character that they're known for in a comedic manner!!!!!

38. Post #38
    November 2007
    837 Posts
    8 complaints.

Seriously.

39. Post #39
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    Yes, Stephen Fry!

40. Post #40