1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    8,386 Posts
    A tearful Oprah Winfrey has announced her talk show will end in September 2011 after 25 years on the air.

Speaking to her live studio audience, the chat show queen said she had decided to end the show "after much prayer and months of careful thought".

"I love this show, and I love it enough to know when it's time to say goodbye," the 55-year-old said.

Winfrey's show, currently syndicated in 145 countries, has transformed the star into a cultural phenomenon.

"Twenty-five years feels right in my bones, and it feels right in my spirit - it's the perfect number, the exact right time," she said.

Winfrey also promised she would be working with her production team to find new ways to entertain, inform and uplift her audience for her remaining shows.

"We are going to knock your socks off. And until that day in 2011 when it ends, I intend to soak up every meaningful, joyful moment with you," she said.

Winfrey's empire

The Oprah Winfrey Show's open atmosphere and frank conversation redefined the talk show genre and made Winfrey one of the most influential women in the US as well as the wealthiest black woman in the world.

Her reputation was clearly appreciated by the big-name stars who opened their souls on her show, from Michael Jackson to Tom Cruise - who famously jumped on the sofa to announce his love for his future wife Katie Holmes.

The introduction of Oprah's Book Club helped authors whose novels were selected become bestsellers overnight, and Winfrey's support for US President Barack Obama was seen as crucial to his presidential election campaign.

Winfrey's empire also includes magazines, books and a satellite radio station - Oprah Radio - with presenters including Dr Maya Angelou and sex therapist Dr Laura Berman.

She is expected to focus instead on the launch of her own cable TV network in 2011.

OWN: The Oprah Winfrey Network is a joint venture between Winfrey and Discovery Communications and is set to replace the Discovery Health Channel in more than 70 million US homes.

Oprah is still the highest-rated US talk show with an average seven million daily viewers, but audiences are half what they were a decade ago.

Winfrey's announcement comes less than 24 hours after Tim Bennett, president of Winfrey's Harpo production company, broke the news to TV stations that broadcast the show.

In a letter he wrote: "The sun will set on the Oprah show as its 25th season draws to a close on 9 September 2011."

The end of the programme will be a blow to distributor CBS, which earns a percentage of licensing fees - estimated to be worth hundreds of millions of dollars - from the more than 200 local ABC TV stations across the US that broadcast it.

Many stations also built their schedules around Winfrey's show, using it to promote other programmes while also delivering a large audience to their local news programming.
    http://meganmcardle.theatlantic.com/...g_the_most.php

Oprah Winfrey has announced that she is ending her show after its 25th season. You can see why she's doing it: one of the wealthiest people in America, with $2.6 billion to her name, Ms. Winfrey hardly needs to keep showing up for a job that must be getting a little repetitive by now. Moreover, she still has a massive media empire with properties like O Magazine to keep the money rolling in. And with the termination of her show, she'll be launching her very own cable network, OWN.

Of course, it remains to be seen whether her empire will remain intact after she leaves broadcast television. For all the complaints about the declining viewership of the Big Four, they have many times the audience of the Discovery Channel, which is helping Ms. Winfrey launch her new property. Memories are short in the media business. Will women continue to buy her magazine if they aren't spending their weekday afternoons watching her show?
    The dark ages are over!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Late Late x 12Dumb Dumb x 4Funny Funny x 2 (list)

2. Post #2
    April 2009
    1,151 Posts
    The dark ages are over!
    uhm that's racist bro
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 43Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Pomf =3
    October 2008
    3,549 Posts
    FUCK

YES

My brothers, A new age has risen
    An age without idiot mothers and tyranny.

This world is ours now!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    8,386 Posts
    Rate late pls.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Late Late x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    September 2007
    1,084 Posts
    This is a good thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    12,243 Posts
    'Tis a good day brothers! We must go to ye pub and drink ourselves silly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    7,796 Posts
    EVERYoNE GETS A NEW CAR!!!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    SteamDB
    November 2007
    10,836 Posts
    Yay!

9. Post #9
    February 2007
    63 Posts
    I'll miss coming home from school everyday and watching Oprah. :saddowns:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    448 Posts
    yea this is the best thing ever !! how dare a BLACK WOMAN have a successful show that doesn't appeal to my particular demographic
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    576 Posts
    She is closing the show so that it will make time for her whole new network. Be prepared to be blasted with Oprah 24/7....

12. Post #12
    April 2009
    1,151 Posts
    yea this is the best thing ever !! how dare a BLACK WOMAN have a successful show that doesn't appeal to my particular demographic
    Why are you making this a discussion of race, it's obviously a discussion of mentally handicapped soccer moms. Oh wait, I did first with my post.

13. Post #13
    I have been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can
    September 2008
    349 Posts
    you guys know that she is getting her own network right? thats why this is happening...

14. Post #14
    June 2009
    1,408 Posts
    Still have the Tyra Banks Show :ohdear:

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    8,747 Posts
    Good, finally put an end to the daily regimen of instructing millions of clueless housewives exactly what to buy, read, and think.

Was I the only one who had to put up with assloads of parental hysteria back during her "Video games are evil!"phase?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    May 2005
    909 Posts
    Do you know the outright misinformation The Oprah Winfrey show proliferates? There's a lot of uninformed people out there thanks in part to this woman.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    21,358 Posts
    So this is why they were talking about her on the radio this morning. Didn't really think about why they were talking since I was half-asleep.

Edited:

Relevant.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    August 2008
    2,281 Posts
    Last episode everyone gets a new mansion

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    20,790 Posts
    Did she find the 9000 penises?

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    6,484 Posts
    Did she find the 9000 penises?
    no but she found 9000 donuts

fat joke   

21. Post #21
    Creep
    July 2006
    10,192 Posts
    She has an underground base in Norway filled with Chocolate shes going to hide in when 2012 comes