1. Post #1
    November 2009
    162 Posts
    Hi Facepunch. I just want to know if all of the addons from garrysmod.org are safe. By safe, I mean free of viruses, LUA viruses, and stuff that will get me VAC banned. Are they? I still have an addon-free gmod and I'm really sick of it. I need addons! So, are these addons free of any malicious content?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    559 Posts
    most of the ones i have ever used are free of the above items
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,737 Posts
    The popular ones are safe and the unpopular ones are worth checking.

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    2,377 Posts
    Hi Facepunch. I just want to know if all of the addons from garrysmod.org are safe. By safe, I mean free of viruses, LUA viruses, and stuff that will get me VAC banned. Are they? I still have an addon-free gmod and I'm really sick of it. I need addons! So, are these addons free of any malicious content?
    Yes. Lua viruses can't go anywhere outside of your garrysmod folder. And VAC doesn't detect anything lua-made.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    April 2009
    158 Posts
    If your getting addons off garrysmod.org I would choose addons that you like and have a lot of download, if a download has lua virus the news will get around and people might not download it.
    Too many addons can slow down Gmod

6. Post #6
    June 2009
    470 Posts
    Most of them should be fine...
    I just dont trust the ones with a low number of downloads and no screen shots
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    7,885 Posts
    VAC isn't even enabled in Gmod, plus a lua virus can be removed by cleaning gmod or deleting a text file, not that hard. Just make sure what you're downloading isn't a .exe file or something, check the download contents before you download it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    August 2009
    19 Posts
    Well, i was downloading addons from garrysmod.org for a long time, and i didint get any virus... yet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Lithuania Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    February 2009
    4,219 Posts
    also, don't download PHX3 or WIremod from garrysmod.org, use SVN instead
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Peru Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10

October 2008
    4 Posts
    i get lua problems by problems i mean something on the top right corner spamming me but thats all
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    May 2009
    3,408 Posts
    Most of them are ok. All you gota wach out for are ones that conflict with others and mess up the game.

I would advise getting the gman manager. It is very good because you can disable install and search things from most folders easily and safely. If you have alot of addons and 1 conflics with another it is much easyer to find it and disable/delet it or move it to another folder easyer.

Link to it: http://gman.codeplex.com/Release/Pro...wnloadId=86151
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12

December 2009
    7 Posts
    If your getting addons off garrysmod.org I would choose addons that you like and have a lot of download, if a download has lua virus the news will get around and people might not download it.
    Too many addons can slow down Gmod
    so any addon with more than 8000 downloads should be safe?

13. Post #13
    August 2009
    1,285 Posts
    Yes.

14. Post #14

December 2009
    1 Posts
    Ive got a program in my computer that when I hightlight any link it searched for virus on the other side, I can also selct it to scan link within links which might take ages but then at least I know virus but most website have viruses but so far no viruses on gmod, It a popular website that been here for years why would it have viruses, well becuase you get some as****** thinking they can do what they want and if your one of them just get ****** becuase theres no point in ruining a perfectly good website thats availible the public and is highly respected so just DONT DO IT!!! Its sad