1. Post #1
    June 2006
    55 Posts
    I've been trying to find a graphics card. After research I came to the conclusion that the Radeon HD 5850 would be the best card for the money I'd like to spend, which is around 300 dollars.

I've come to this conclusion considering the comparison of GTX 280 and GTX 285 to the HD 5850.

GTX 285 cards usually are 400 dollars from what I have seen, 100 dollars more than the HD 5850. For most games, the GTX 285 reports a lower or the same exact fps in comparison to the 5850.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/g...1685.html?prod[3249]=on&prod[3189]=on

Now my problem lies in the reliability of the Radeon HD 5850. With further research I've found that people have experienced some issues with the cards.

Grey Screen of Death
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ATI...5870,9549.html
    Artifacting
    http://www.vgaforum.com/showthread.php?t=22210
    Other reported issues
    http://www.vgaforum.com/showthread.php?t=22037
    http://forums.amd.com/game/messagevi...&enterthread=y
    http://www.vgaforum.com/showthread.php?t=21884
    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...m/1398066.html
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v9irrsseGI

And due to the card being similar to the 5870, I also fear the problems with that card.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KumO1cfwSh4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG5YMapme20
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDM0e-yZZdg
    http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1466677&page=2

You can probably find more examples of other issues with the series elsewhere.

My question is though, does anyone have any insight to these issues. Should I pick another card, if so what card? Are these issues rare enough to go ahead and get the card anyway? I'm pretty lost on what to do because this is my first build and I really want to avoid running into problems, please help.

Thanks for your time.

Card:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102857
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    August 2009
    1,269 Posts
    You're being WAYYYYYYY to paranoid imo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    1,996 Posts
    You're being WAYYYYYYY to paranoid imo.
    Yeah.

The 5850 has it's problems, but so does every other card on the planet. Most of those are probably caused by overheating, not being seated properly, driver bugs, faulty cards, etc. Most of which can be fixed, or the card can be returned to where you bought it from.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    5,039 Posts
    Newegg has a really good return policy I've heard. I never had to use it since I have yet to have a part I bought be broken, but if what I've heard is true, if you have issues you can just return it.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    1,996 Posts
    Newegg has a really good return policy I've heard. I never had to use it since I have yet to have a part I bought be broken, but if what I've heard is true, if you have issues you can just return it.
    They do charge you for shipping, unfortunately.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    7,382 Posts
    Just buy an extended warranty and you'll be covered. Worries solved.

7. Post #7
    December 2009
    6,407 Posts
    or buy xfx get double life time

8. Post #8
    I am a moderator.
    August 2006
    13,237 Posts
    XFX have good warranties donīt+ they?

Edited:

damn beaten

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    3,203 Posts
    or buy xfx get double life time
    I always go XFX because of this.

And their customer service.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    2,324 Posts
    You do indirectly pay for the XFX warranty, though. My view is this: What person that buys high end GPUs is going to keep one for more than a couple of years? Most brands offer a warranty around 3 years, which is all you really need.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    2,074 Posts
    I've had the SAPPHIRE HD5850 for about 3 months now. I haven't had anything bad happen what so ever, everything still runs nicely...i think you're just a bit paranoids, some cards are bad but most are good. just hope you have good luck

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    3,831 Posts
    I've had the SAPPHIRE HD5850 for about 3 months now. I haven't had anything bad happen what so ever, everything still runs nicely...i think you're just a bit paranoids, some cards are bad but most are good. just hope you have good luck
    Exactly this. No problems to report about this card. And most the problems you stated are easily fixed with driver updates. So, just buy the card. You won't regret it and if it doesn't work there are RMAs available to you.

13. Post #13
    March 2010
    321 Posts
    you might wanna wait for the gtx 470 to be released
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    June 2006
    55 Posts
    you might wanna wait for the gtx 470 to be released
    I'll be looking at it, but I fear that the GTX 470 may retail for four hundred dollars despite the expected three hundred fifty tag reported on.

Exactly this. No problems to report about this card.
    What specifications are both of your computers? Also you haven't experienced any problems with older games like Team Fortress 2?

Thanks for all the replies.

15. Post #15
    March 2010
    321 Posts
    I'll be looking at it, but I fear that the GTX 470 may retail for four hundred dollars despite the expected three hundred fifty tag reported on.

What specifications are both of your computers? Also you haven't experienced any problems with older games like Team Fortress 2?

Cards are cheaper than the expected price, always.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,072 Posts
    I always go XFX because of this.

And their customer service.
    I sure hope it's good.

I have to get my 4670 replaced.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    2,111 Posts
    Cards are cheaper than the expected price, always.
    5850 was expected to market at 270
    5870 was expected to market at 360

18. Post #18
    January 2010
    401 Posts
    5850 was expected to market at 270
    5870 was expected to market at 360
    That's only because they thought there was going to be another card on the market by Nvidia.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    3,831 Posts

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198000077329
    Played 8 hours yesterday. Also, my specs are listed on my page.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,016 Posts
    You can type anything into youtube/google and it will show at least one or more problems.

Edited:

Just get a fucking 5850 unless you want to buy the $100 more 285 for the same/less frame rate.

/solved

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    November 2007
    2,328 Posts
    I have a Sapphire 5870 and I constantly get the GSOD.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Russian Federation Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    December 2009
    6,407 Posts
    well RMA it then

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,072 Posts
    That's only because they thought there was going to be another card on the market by Nvidia.
    Nvidia really needs to step up their game.

ATI is just finishing releasing the 5xxx series and Nvidia is just releasing their cards that compete with that series.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    7,820 Posts
    I have a Sapphire 5870 and I constantly get the GSOD.
    my first 5870 kept artifacting, I rma'd it and now everything is running smoothly

25. Post #25
    April 2007
    113 Posts
    I've had no problems whatsoever with my 5850. Had it for about 2 1/2 months now. Overclocked to 900MhZ/1150MhZ core/mem as well, they run pretty cool.

I'd say go for the 5850. Just look up return policies and warranties from wherever you buy from in case you ever have problems.

26. Post #26
    January 2009
    891 Posts
    Mine runs fine and can overclock like a bitch.
    1000MhZ core and 1100MhZ Memory.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    March 2010
    321 Posts
    Mine runs fine and can overclock like a bitch.
    1000MhZ core and 1100MhZ Memory.
    somehow i really doubt you got that high on core and that low on memory
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,121 Posts
    Fuck Sapphire, I'll never buy another product from them again. I had to RMA a card twice, both had artifacting immediately after installing. Even formatted for the second. I'm out $20 for shipping for returns. NEVER BUY FROM THEM. I can't reiterate just how pissed I am, words can't say. :bang:

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    591 Posts
    I have the Diamond 5850. When I first got it I got the GSOD and the blue bars, but after Catalyst 10.2 almost EVERY problem I've had with this card is gone. The only problem left is that I don't have another to Crossfire.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    8,118 Posts
    Fuck Sapphire, I'll never buy another product from them again. I had to RMA a card twice, both had artifacting immediately after installing. Even formatted for the second. I'm out $20 for shipping for returns. NEVER BUY FROM THEM. I can't reiterate just how pissed I am, words can't say. :bang:
    baww you were unlucky twice

no manufacturer is perfect, that's why we have RMA

31. Post #31
    December 2009
    2,454 Posts
    Go with HIS if you want neato cooling and XFX if you are a paranoid dude

Sapphire is kinda all round
    Don't go for shit like Sparkle or Diamond etc.. Powercolor are cheap and DECENT but stick with HIS and XFX IIWU

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,121 Posts
    I had heard good things about sapphire, that's why I went with them originally. I'd rather Spend another 10 on an XFX card for the warrenty now.

33. Post #33
    March 2010
    176 Posts
    This sounds worrying, I'm about to buy a 5850, not sure if from Sapphire though

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    591 Posts

Don't go for shit like Sparkle or Diamond etc.. Powercolor are cheap and DECENT but stick with HIS and XFX IIWU
    Diamond isn't shit...

35. Post #35
    December 2009
    6,407 Posts
    i dont know about sparkle, but diamond deffinetly not

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,072 Posts

Diamond isn't so bad, but they're are definitely better brands. But if Diamond is the only brand in stock it's still worth it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    June 2006
    55 Posts
    Four people in this topic says they haven't had any issues and another four people replied saying they've had issues.

I understand that no graphics card is perfect, and I will never find a card that has a 0 percent failure rate. However, going by this topic alone (I know the flaws in that), is it too much to ask for a manufacturer to produce a card that has less than 50%?

I'm going to need to see how the GTX 400 series runs before purchasing a 5850. Once again, thanks for your advice, time, information, and replies.

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    3,831 Posts
    Four people in this topic says they haven't had any issues and another four people replied saying they've had issues.

I understand that no graphics card is perfect, and I will never find a card that has a 0 percent failure rate. However, going by this topic alone (I know the flaws in that), is it too much to ask for a manufacturer to produce a card that has less than 50%?

I'm going to need to see how the GTX 400 series runs before purchasing a 5850. Once again, thanks for your advice, time, information, and replies.
    Just because we are split doesn't mean that the majority of people are getting bad cards. You only have a sample size of 8 to work with. In this case I would say to look at the newegg ratings/other site ratings because most of those people only rate down when they get a bad card. And over 90% of reviewers on Newegg had positive things to say about the card.

39. Post #39
    January 2010
    91 Posts
    People that are happy with this card are just too busy playing Just Cause 2 to post about it in this thread.

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    274 Posts
    I want to get 5850 from XFX, but it seems they're out of stock on newegg.