1. Post #1
    Gold Member

July 2005
    3,180 Posts
    Okay I have an alt thats worth quite some money, now I can't log into it from my desktop or community site and its telling me that the pw is wrong when I know it's supposed to be right. I checked my email for that account and the PW and secret question were changed and I have no clue as to what they are. I can however log into the account perfectly fine from my laptop on Linux Ubuntu only, all other OSes have failed (clientregistry.blob must know the new PW) but I have no idea how to retrieve the account. FP got any ideas?

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    1,223 Posts
    If you can get in your account from one computer but not from another then your account probably isn't stolen, probably just some weird bug. Contact Steam support.

3. Post #3
    Gold Member

July 2005
    3,180 Posts
    If you can get in your account from one computer but not from another then your account probably isn't stolen, probably just some weird bug. Contact Steam support.
    File a ticket on the support site or email them?

Also this is the secret question:
    "What did customer support last reset your passphrase to?"

What the hell does that mean?

4. Post #4
    October 2009
    551 Posts
    Just explain the issue and treat it as it has been stolen, because it probably has.

Screencap receipts from the games that were emailed to you, provide your last login IP, your email address and all that and you'll get your account back. The guys at STEAM are incredibly reasonable with this kind of thing.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member

July 2005
    3,180 Posts
    Just explain the issue and treat it as it has been stolen, because it probably has.

Screencap receipts from the games that were emailed to you, provide your last login IP, your email address and all that and you'll get your account back. The guys at STEAM are incredibly reasonable with this kind of thing.
    Fun fact, I bought the games as gifts on my main. I bought them on my main and gifted them to my Alt, and I can however prove that I am on the account now If you want I could probably change the name (It crashes every time I change something and I have no clue why)

Edited:

Here is proof I can access the account it's just I don't know the password...

http://steamcommunity.com/id/binladen34/

https://support.steampowered.com/vie...4079-QPFJ-1489

Ticket is the same in the post as the friend name.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    3,252 Posts
    If the Linux machine can log on to the account, then it hasn't been stolen, you just forgot the password. If someone else, somewhere else logged into the account, it would kick your Linux machine off and request that you renew the session.

You can either try and remember your password and change it in the settings dialog:

Or you can create a support ticket and have them reset the password.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member

July 2005
    3,180 Posts
    I needed the password reset and Valve did, great guys fast and easy.