1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,846 Posts
    This competition will be to create a visually unique and interesting house or mansion - No skyscrapers, factories or whatever the hell else your thinking. of - It must be someone home. Whether or not that person's real is up to you.

Each one of you that would like to join the competition must make a house. Interiors are a big bonus, but are not vital. This compettion focuses on exterior architecture. Added extras are up to you (gardens, basements..) The house doesn't have to be liveable in (by this I mean, the house can be destroyed as long as there is some way of getting inside of it)

Submitting an entry:

If you would like to submit an entry, send a private message to me here on the forums with a picture(s)/video of your map, along with a short description of it. The subject name must be House. You are permitted to show off your houses/architecture on this thread. If anyone would be kind enough to donate a small prize for the winner, that would be fantastic. I'll also try to get someone from the GGT to donate a little something.

THE COMPETITION ENDS THE 8TH MAY 2010 at 23:00 BST (GMT+1)

There are now two sections of this competition - Advanced and Beginner.

Here's some reference images images.

If you feel like trying something like this, strongly recommend the use of Propper.

THE COMPETITION ENDS THE 8TH MAY 2010 at 23:00 BST (GMT+1)

If you would like to enter, please state so below and your name will be added to the OP.

Contestants:

Beginner:
    :d:LewyJudge12
    :d:NeoShinsei
    :d:Superkipje

Advanced:
    :d:St33m
    :d:magravn
    :d:SweetSwifter
    :d:[haWx]
    :d:radu_iceman
    :d:Miigga
    :d:Windows 8
    :d:teshok
    :d:robmaister12
    :d:MacHaddock

If there's a mistake with the contestant list or you would like to change group, please let me know via PM or comment here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

2. Post #2
    Dennab
    March 2010
    2,002 Posts
    Too specific, I'm predicting that most people won't join this competition.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    March 2009
    2,461 Posts
    And it looks really hard. If you just told us to make a furnished house with a basement/loft or something like that i would join but holy shit son.

4. Post #4
    October 2009
    1,508 Posts
    Yeah me too.. to confusing.. woah..

5. Post #5
    March 2009
    2,461 Posts
    Nobody is going to do this, it's too hard.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    2,196 Posts
    You want The Carson Mansion you map the The Carson Mansion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,559 Posts
    You want The Carson Mansion you map the The Carson Mansion.
    This. I was thinking the same thing when I was going through this thread.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    17,398 Posts
    This is a request thread disguised as a competition.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 15Agree Agree x 5 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,846 Posts
    It's not. I was looking for some inspiration and I came across this house and thought it would be an interesting competition.

I'll change it so it's just make a unique, visually interesting house.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    17,398 Posts
    Nice try, but someone else already beat you to it.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,846 Posts
    How's that?

Edited:

:mad: Bitch.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    17,398 Posts
    Just do a thread merger and one of you request their thread to be locked.

Edited:

Or keep them both going so I can enter the same house for both and win two. >:D

13. Post #13
    October 2009
    1,508 Posts
    Yeah, keep Neo's running. He's already set different entry levels and stuff.

14. Post #14
    March 2009
    2,461 Posts
    ~ZOMG has pmed me about this and i dont know how we can merge our competitions, because mine doesent have judges, and there's nothing else he can really help out with. So both will have to run.

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    17,398 Posts
    Or you could just both be judges and close one of the threads.

Edited:

How about you buy one of the prizes and ~ZOMG buys the other?

16. Post #16
    March 2009
    2,461 Posts
    Im not even sure if im having prizes, and the mapping community is going to vote so no judges. Anyway it was me who suggested he changed it to a house :P

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    17,398 Posts
    Im not even sure if im having prizes, and the mapping community is going to vote so no judges. Anyway it was me who suggested he changed it to a house :P
    Well in that case, just suggest to ~ZOMG to implement your category system (advanced/beginner) and request your thread to be locked.

18. Post #18
    March 2009
    2,461 Posts
    Why when we can just use my thread? I beat him to it, and imo the first made should be used.. This one can still run obviously. We just have two of the same competition.

19. Post #19
    October 2009
    1,508 Posts
    How about instead of yours having rtwo entry levels, make this one advanced, and yours beginner Neo?

20. Post #20
    November 2009
    612 Posts
    Well im thinking of joining, but im confused as heck about how ill do it now..

21. Post #21
    October 2009
    1,508 Posts
    Basically, join Neo's. He has everything down and ~ZOMG changed his to basically the same competition afterwards. Neo's was the original.

22. Post #22
    November 2009
    612 Posts
    well, Zomg, while annoying, is way more experienced than neo, and more likely to have prizes, proper judges, etc.

So id prefer if he would pull this thread together.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    October 2009
    1,508 Posts
    Indeed he is more experienced, but thats why Neo has made different entry levels. He has Beginner, and Advanced, so I'm guessing you and ~ZOMG would go in the Advanced section, whereas members like me and Neo would fit in the beginners section.

24. Post #24
    March 2009
    2,461 Posts
    Indeed he is more experienced, but thats why Neo has made different entry levels. He has Beginner, and Advanced, so I'm guessing you and ~ZOMG would go in the Advanced section, whereas members like me and Neo would fit in the beginners section.
    This. Also, it sounds like im trying to pursuade you to come to my thread, but we have a longer time zone to complete it in, which means it will be better.

And also how do you know that ~ZOMG is better than me? Does it really matter?

25. Post #25
    October 2009
    1,508 Posts
    Because I heard you say somewhere you were new, I think. In my thread. And no, it doesn't seeing as you said the community will be voting. I didn't mean to offend you. I apologise if I did, though.

26. Post #26
    March 2009
    2,461 Posts
    Nope, you didnt it might have just sounded like i did. And yeah i am pretty new.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,846 Posts
    I think that's a good idea.

I'll do an advanced competition and you do a beginner.

Shall we say to enter you must have less than 50 hours in Source SDK?

28. Post #28
    October 2009
    1,508 Posts
    Oh god wat, I've had 122 hours and I'm only just making my first map :(

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,960 Posts
    I don't think hours spent in the SDK is a fair representation, one could have spent 250 hours in the SDK and still be a bad mapper. Or left it on overnight or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    November 2009
    612 Posts
    well im entering here then.

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,846 Posts
    Ok, this can be advanced and to enter you have to give an example of your previous work or must have been a known member of facepunch/a mapper for a long enough period for people to know you're a decent mapper.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,960 Posts
    But what's to stop "advanced" people entering in the "noob" thread?

33. Post #33
    March 2009
    2,461 Posts
    ~ZOMG just use this as a forum wide competition, i suppose we dont need mine. Just as long as beginner's can compete too. I want to submit something.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,846 Posts
    But what's to stop "advanced" people entering in the "noob" thread?
    If we feel they are of a higher standard than others or have a fairly decent reputation around here for being a good mapper we will move their map from one competition to the other.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    I make awesome maps that never see the light of day
    January 2007
    7,276 Posts
    This is just for me, but i'm too busy with my own maps.

36. Post #36
    August 2009
    955 Posts
    Well, here's part of my entry
    Note: Not supposed to be realistic
    http://i42.tinypic.com/20jhgu9.jpg
    Also, can someone tell me how to fix that skybox bug?
    You are supossed to se a skybox seperating the house entrence to the outside
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,559 Posts
    What the fuck am I looking at here?

This isn't unique or sexy. Its eye bleeding.

38. Post #38
    March 2009
    2,461 Posts
    Dude.. Where did you even find those textures?

Edited:

You best be trollin'
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Can we make modern houses? Or only castles?

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,846 Posts
    Disqualified for making me cry.

Edited:

Can we make modern houses? Or only castles?
    Basically anywhere where someone could live, except shit like skyscrapers, warehouses etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)