1. Post #1
    Dennab
    February 2010
    712 Posts

A desk is a furniture form and a class of table often used in a work or office setting for reading or writing on or using a computer. Desks often have one or more drawers to store office supplies and papers. Unlike a regular table, usually only one side of a desk is suitable to sit on (though there are some exceptions, such as a partners desk). Not all desks have the form of a table. For instance, an Armoire desk is a desk built within a large wardrobe-like cabinet, and a portable desk is light enough to be placed on a person's lap. Although some people usually lean on the desk, meaning a desk must be sturdy
    Typical rolltop desk
    Contents
    [hide]

* 1 Early desks
    * 2 Industrial era
    * 3 Steel desks
    * 4 Student desks
    * 5 Influence of computers
    * 6 See also
    * 7 External links
    * 8 References
    o 8.1 Real desks
    o 8.2 Virtual desktops, GUIs, and the virtual office

[edit] Early desks
    Wiki letter w.svg This section has no content. You can help Wikipedia by introducing information to it. (May 2010)
    [edit] Industrial era
    An untidy desk
    [edit] Steel desks

A smaller boom in office work and desk production occurred at the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th with the introduction of smaller and less expensive electrical presses and efficient carbon papers coupled with the general acceptance of the typewriter. Steel desks were introduced to take heavier loads of paper and withstand the pounding meted out on the typewriters. The L-shaped desk became popular, with the "leg" being used as an annex for the typewriter.

Another big boom occurred after the Second World War with the spread of photocopying. Paperwork drove even higher the number of desk workers, whose work surface diminished in size as office rents rose, and the paper itself was moved more and more directly to filing cabinets or sent to records management centers, or transformed into microfilm, or both. Modular desks seating several co-workers close by became common. Even executive or management desks became mass-produced, built of cheap plywood or fiberboard covered with wood finish, as the number of persons managing the white collar workers became even greater.
    [edit] Student desks
    A student desk.

A student desk can be any desk form meant for use by a student. Usually the term designates a small pedestal desk or writing table constructed for use by a teenager or a pre-teen in his or her room at home. It often is a pedestal desk, with only one of the two pedestals and about two thirds of the desk surface. Such desks are sometimes called left-pedestal desks and right-pedestal desks, depending on the position of the single pedestal. These desks are not as tall as normal adult desks. In some cases, the desk is connected from the seat to the table.

The desks are usually mass-produced in steel or wood and sold on the consumer market. There is a wide variety of plans available for woodworking enthusiasts. There are many novel forms of student desks made to maximize the relatively restricted area available in a child's room. One of the most common is the bunk-bed desk, also called the loft bed.
    [edit] Influence of computers

Until the late 1980s desks remained a place for paperwork and business negotiation.

At the end of this decade though the personal computer was taking hold in large and medium sized businesses. New office suites included a "knee hole" credenza which was a place for a terminal or personal computer and keyboard tray. Soon new office designs also included "U-shape" suites which added a bridge worksurface between the back credenza and front desk. During the North American recession of the early 1990s, many manager and executive workers had to do word processing and other functions previously completed by typing pools and secretaries. This necessitated a more central placement of the computer on these "U-shape" suite desk systems.
    A desk in an office.

With computers abounding, "computer paper" became an office staple. The beginning of this paper boom gave birth to the dream of the "paperless office", in which all information would appear on computer monitors. However, the ease of printing personal documents and the lack of comfort with reading text on computer monitors led to a great deal of document printing. The need for paperwork space vied with the rising desk space taken up by computer monitors, CPUs, printers, scanners, and other peripherals. As well, the need for more space led some desk companies to attach some items to the modesty panel at the back of the desk, such as multi-outlets and cabling.

Through the "tech boom" of the 1990s, office worker numbers skyrocketed along with the cost of office space rent. The cubicle desk became widely accepted in North America as an economical way of putting more desk workers in the same space without actually shrinking the size of their working surfaces. The cubicle walls have become new place for workers to affix papers and other items once left on the horizontal desktop surface. Even computer monitor frames themselves are used to attach reminder notes and business cards.

Early in the 2000s, private office workers found that their side and back computer-placing furniture made it hard to show the contents of a computer screen to guests or co-workers. Manufacturers have responded to this issue by creating "Forward Facing" desks where computer monitors are placed on the front of the "U-shape" workstation. This forward computer monitor placement promotes a clearer sight-line to greet colleagues, increases computer screen privacy and allows for common viewing of information displayed on a screen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 9Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    2,070 Posts

*Updated 2011*

*Updated 2011 v2*

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Artistic x 102Winner x 19Friendly x 5Dumb x 2Optimistic x 1Informative x 1Useful x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    8,118 Posts
    I don't like this thread, it doesn't have an amusing title
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 28Friendly Friendly x 1Zing Zing x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Dennab
    February 2010
    712 Posts
    Suggest one
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    2,070 Posts
    Post your desk v. Damn spoiled kids!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Agree Agree x 29 (list)

6. Post #6
    Ah... tits!
    August 2009
    4,312 Posts
    Post your desk v. -5 ~ SomeGuest's gaming set up made me come.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

7. Post #7
    January 2010
    853 Posts
    The title seems a bit boring.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    August 2009
    756 Posts

All the kewl kids are considerate...
    Click the thumbnail to go to the real picture.
    Sorry if you dislike the quality, it's from my Droid :3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    7,745 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny x 49Friendly x 3Winner x 2Artistic x 1Dumb x 1Disagree x 1Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    8,442 Posts
    I'm supposed to be getting a new desk soon, I have the money sitting in front of me right now, we just keep pushing it to later.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Disagree Disagree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    5,069 Posts
    hi
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Disagree Disagree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,310 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,900 Posts
    I'm so jealous of you guys. All I've got is a CRT from 2004 - 05 and an upgraded prebuilt.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    1,115 Posts
    thats actually more of a writing bureau then a desk
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 5Informative Informative x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    393 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 12Funny Funny x 3Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    3,621 Posts
    @Thor667 Still in the kitchen, I see.

old

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa72/Satane123/DSCF3020.jpg
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Slovenia Show Events Artistic x 15Optimistic x 4Dumb x 2Disagree x 1Winner x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Mr Jazz
    January 2009
    38,814 Posts
    desk.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Wingless is awesome. Also, View my site
    February 2010
    5,836 Posts
    Where can I get a cool desk
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    342 Posts
    Where can I get a cool desk
    Ikea
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 31Funny Funny x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,140 Posts
    Repost for your amusement.

Edited:

OP sucks for such a majestic thread.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 33Optimistic Optimistic x 4Dumb Dumb x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,289 Posts

Horrible OP.

Also ordered an Ergotron LX Wall mount articulating arm today for the Cintiq, should be bitching to be able to swing that bastard like 30" off the wall right to me, can't wait.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Artistic x 18Winner x 3Late x 1Dumb x 1Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    3,113 Posts
    Until I order components for my first ever gaming rig, this is my desk which is more than perfect for what I do at the moment.

I moved my new desk in and changed my room a little to make it all fit, a 10m ethernet cable now runs from one side of my room to the other, along skirting boards and such.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,323 Posts
    You have many mice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    3,113 Posts
    You have many mice.
    That's nothing heh, under my bed is worse. Each of those boxes under my desk have six in them. My room is now officially a warehouse :3:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    5,975 Posts
    Ajacks setup made me jizz
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    2,431 Posts
    You have a DSLR but you take the photo with your phone
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,323 Posts
    That's nothing heh, under my bed is worse. Each of those boxes under my desk have six in them. My room is now officially a warehouse :3:
    Do you distribute them or what?

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    3,113 Posts
    You have a DSLR but you take the photo with your phone
    DSLR is more effort, Mr Logical.

Do you distribute them or what?
    I buy in bulk then resell to make profit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    2,431 Posts
    DSLR is more effort, Mr Logical.
    Flip a switch, turn a wheel, press a button, plug in, upload
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    3,113 Posts
    Flip a switch, turn a wheel, press a button, plug in, upload
    You so totally forgot about resizing. My phone is easier, regardless of what you say, it uploads directly to tinypic. That is less effort than taking an image with my DSLR.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,289 Posts
    Ajacks setup made me jizz
    lol, I just splurged and bought all the mounts and cables I need to wall mount everything on the desk, can't wait.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    5,975 Posts
    lol, I just splurged and bought all the mounts and cables I need to wall mount everything on the desk, can't wait.
    You're gonne mount EVERY screen? Thats gonna look so damn clean...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    1,553 Posts
    (Updating from most recent post)

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Friendly Friendly x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Switch(config)#
    October 2007
    3,695 Posts
    I'd post my desk but then I'd have to explain why I have three computers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Mr Jazz
    January 2009
    38,814 Posts
    I have three computers, why would they need to be explained?

36. Post #36
    Switch(config)#
    October 2007
    3,695 Posts
    I have three computers, why would they need to be explained?
    Last time I posted my desk with more than one computer on it I pretty much got flamed for having three laptops and two desktops.

So I'll explain it now and post a picture later... I run a computer repair business and get a decent amount of customers.

37. Post #37
    Mr Jazz
    January 2009
    38,814 Posts
    ok, that would seem a bit odd but your explanation makes sense.

38. Post #38
    Switch(config)#
    October 2007
    3,695 Posts
    Yeah here's the picture I posted that got me flamed lol

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    7,745 Posts
    Yeah here's the picture I posted that got me flamed lol

thats really dumb, there's no reason for you to have 3 laptops, its just a waste of electricity
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 25Agree Agree x 3Winner Winner x 2 (list)

40. Post #40
    Switch(config)#
    October 2007
    3,695 Posts
    thats really dumb, there's no reason for you to have 3 laptops, its just a waste of electricity
    I know I'm so silly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 10Late Late x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)