1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    12,435 Posts
    Ok so I accidentally saved my game as a NPC character I chose with a character selection mod, not whenever I load GTA 4 up it crashes. Now I wanna know if there is a way to delete all my save files, so when I load it up I'm Niko instead

2. Post #2
    November 2009
    1,551 Posts
    Try checking your documents folder for either GTA IV or Rockstar. The saves might be in there if there is a folder.

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    12,435 Posts
    Try checking your documents folder for either GTA IV or Rockstar. The saves might be in there if there is a folder.
    Well there is a a Rockstar folder but it only has a User Music and clips folder inside

If it helps, my GTA4 is a Steam copy

So the folder is here
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam 2\steamapps\common\grand theft auto iv\GTAIV

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,429 Posts
    If you're using Windows 7 (and Vista, I think)

1. Go to "C:\Users\*name*\AppData". It's a hidden folder.

2. Go to "\Local\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames", select whichever user has your savegames. The names don't make any sense, so you'll have to go by number. Copy them.

Now, the guessing begins. I think this is what you have to do, but I'm not entirely sure.

3. Start a new game, if you can.

4. Save, exit. Since GFWL saves by profile, the game might've created another folder in savegames (like I found out just now it did for me) or it might've deleted your old save games.

5. Paste one of the save files you copied.

6. Go into the game, and see if it works, or if it's a suitably late save. If it's not, exit, delete it and go back to step 6.

I don't know if that'll work, but you should give it a try nonetheless.

5. Post #5
    February 2010
    3,120 Posts
    A quick google search yielded this:

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USER NAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames

It said they're located there for XP, but it looks more like a Vista or 7 path.

EDIT: :ninja:

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    12,435 Posts

2. Go to "\Local\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames", select whichever user has your savegames. The names don't make any sense, so you'll have to go by number. Copy them.

Now, the guessing begins. I think this is what you have to do, but I'm not entirely sure.

4. Save, exit. Since GFWL saves by profile, the game might've created another folder in savegames (like I found out just now it did for me) or it might've deleted your old save games.

6. Go into the game, and see if it works, or if it's a suitably late save. If it's not, exit, delete it and go back to step 6.

I have no Appdata folder

7. Post #7
    November 2009
    1,551 Posts
    I have no Appdata folder
    AppData is the hidden folder.

8. Post #8
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    16,012 Posts
    I'm looking really hard but I can't find it!

9. Post #9
    February 2010
    3,120 Posts
    I'm looking really hard but I can't find it!
    In /users, click "Organize", then "Folder and Search options", then the "View" tab, and check off the "Shows hidden files and folders" option. Then follow the path from the other posts.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    12,435 Posts

In /users, click "Organize", then "Folder and Search options", then the "View" tab, and check off the "Shows hidden files and folders" option. Then follow the path from the other posts.
    Thanks you two, I found the folder with the save games folder