1. Post #1
    Ynop sdrawkcab
    March 2009
    1,078 Posts
    Post moments when your mind has been fucked up the ass by Valve.

The creepiest thing in my opinion is the Poison Zombie sounds.

At first you hear it and don't think much of it, just another enemy to add to your kill list.

But then, you hear it stalking you, the strained breathing, the moaning, the horrible agony the thing is.

You walk to a door, only to hear that horrible raspy breath.
    You wonder what abomination of mankind that beast could be.

You open the door to see a carrier for horrible animals.

The pain the zombie feels is excrutiating, which is obvious by his screams and moans of agony.

MY ICING!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree x 67Funny x 14Dumb x 8Artistic x 4Optimistic x 2Late x 1Winner x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    January 2010
    408 Posts
    YABBA - that's all. Best voice acting ever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 150Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    August 2009
    435 Posts
    Gman
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 72Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    March 2009
    95 Posts
    When you found out valve hasn't said anything about episode 3 because they haven't even started on it.

whoops
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Funny x 452Agree x 17Dumb x 4Informative x 3Winner x 2Zing x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    December 2009
    995 Posts
    I was scared shitless in the zombie infested train tunnels in EP1. I don't think I have ever been so glad that HL2 had a flashlight until that level.

I mean, the whole thing was just creepy. Zombies everywhere, its pitch black, you can hear Alyx struggling, you're flashlight power is gone, and to top it all off theres the new Zombine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 129Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 5Disagree Disagree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    hang you're self
    March 2008
    4,741 Posts
    Them rebels, man.

Reload, Dr. Freeman
    Reload Dr. Freeman
    RELOAD

Shit haunts me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 391Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    King Shit of Turd Mountain
    July 2009
    8,916 Posts
    Gman Radio :byodood:
    I think the poison zombie is kinda funny, because it uses a clip of a gorilla's laugh sometimes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 72Funny Funny x 5Informative Informative x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    October 2009
    9,311 Posts
    That damned cat.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 138Funny Funny x 19 (list)

9. Post #9
    December 2009
    995 Posts
    That damned cat.
    What cat?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny x 492Winner x 9Agree x 8Zing x 3Dumb x 2Friendly x 2Disagree x 1Bad Reading x 1Useful x 1Informative x 1Optimistic x 1Late x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    March 2010
    603 Posts
    The fact that the ocean instantly kills you if you fall in it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 162Funny Funny x 9 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    7,837 Posts
    The fact that the ocean instantly kills you if you fall in it.
    Its filled with super-water-mutant-maneating-somethings.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Agree x 140Funny x 7Informative x 2Disagree x 1Dumb x 1Zing x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    August 2009
    435 Posts
    That are invisible.
    And swim at 2x the speed of light.
    And don't hesitate (not even for .000001 seconds) to eat you in one bite instantly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny x 178Agree x 11Dumb x 3Disagree x 1Winner x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    2,485 Posts
    eels
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Disagree x 51Agree x 11Optimistic x 2Dumb x 2Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    4,982 Posts
    AKA, leeches.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 147Disagree Disagree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,413 Posts

:ohdear:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree x 200Friendly x 3Funny x 2Disagree x 2Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    4,160 Posts
    That are invisible.
    And swim at 2x the speed of light.
    And don't hesitate (not even for .000001 seconds) to eat you in one bite instantly.
    Actually

1. They're visible
    2. They're leeches
    and 3. They're everywhere, so it seems like they're lightning fast.

Edited:

Sheesh you guys.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree x 24Bad Spelling x 5Dumb x 4Funny x 1Informative x 1Late x 1Winner x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    7,837 Posts
    Actually

1. They're visible
    2. They're leaches
    and 3. They're everywhere, so it seems like they're lightning fast.
    4. They go om-nom-nom whenever a nerd in a orange power suit swims by.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Agree x 96Funny x 56Dumb x 2Bad Spelling x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    4,160 Posts
    Precisely.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

19. Post #19
    im gay
    July 2007
    3,686 Posts
    Sometimes, they laugh when you kill them.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply France Show Events Agree Agree x 117Funny Funny x 2Informative Informative x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Oh no, what have I done!
    November 2007
    21,803 Posts
    Play citadel sounds backwards.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 64Informative Informative x 5Disagree Disagree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Glod Menber
    May 2008
    24,566 Posts
    Zombie screams backwards

Edited:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree x 78Informative x 12Late x 8Friendly x 4Funny x 2Artistic x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,413 Posts
    Play citadel sounds backwards.
    Do you mean the ambient sounds?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Resident Raccoon
    January 2008
    8,991 Posts
    He probably means the overwatch announcer, the one that sounds like GLaDOS
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 9Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    8,939 Posts
    Sometimes, they laugh when you kill them.

Black headcrab zombies have a more subtly creepy noise: If you have the sound high, or headphones in, and somehow manage to get close to one of those things without it detecting you, you'll discover that it makes a soft, wet, labored breathing sound when idle. Slightly off-putting at first, until you realize that, in spite of being a poison-bloated corpse covered in oversized rattlesnake-parasite-things, with all of the flesh over its spine stripped off and presumably eaten, there is still something alive under there that has to breathe. Also, poison zombies laugh and moan when they die, presumably upon realizing their suffering is over.

Edited:

Headcrab zombies on fire make a disturbing "human dying in agony" sound, especially chilling if you are the one who set the zombie on fire initiating the torture and death of the underlying innocent human. Apparently, for headcrab zombies, the human consciousness is gone but the part that feels pain remains. In fact, if you play a headcrab zombie's cries backwards, you can hear a human weeping as they beg for their death.. With that in mind, their death grunts almost sound like sighs of relief. Eugh.

Edited:

Episode One introduced the Zombine, a headcrabbed Combine soldier, a tougher, slightly slower version of the standard zombie (although it did sprint occasionally) with zombie flesh bulging out from the seams of its combat armor. While its inclination towards pulling out a grenade and charging the player waving it above its head was unsettling, it was the deeper implications that really freaked this one out. Unlike other zombies, shooting the headcrab off would not reveal the grizzled, bloodied face of the human victim but instead only the soldier's lower jaw fused to the top of the spine. Despite having no remaining brain or even head beneath, the Zombine moans and cries have a distinct synthesizer edge to them. Listen closely and you can make out the disrupted, mutilated calls of the former solder. Groaning a muffled 'medic' when shot, informing allies of 'biotic' (Combine Jargon for 'Antilions in the area') when milling around, and gurgling out 'grenade!' when they start their suicide run. All horrible, but for this troper the most horrible realization was that the transhuman nature of the soldiers meant it was likely that the Zombine automatically broadcast these cries to any still 'human' soldiers in the area. If the Overwatch soldiers are still human enough to still feel terror, one can imagine the terror of hearing the squad conversation over his comm channel slowly being replaced by a Zombine cacophony as the soldiers fleeing City 17 fall one by one to the headcrabs...

According to the Combine Overwiki, the sounds that the Zombine make could possibly be communication from their squadmates coming from their vocoder but muffled by the loss of an antenna.

"In-fest-a...*groan* -tion..." "perimeter is...*shuddering breath* not secure" "Necro-tics... inbound" "they're inside" "over...run" "help...me"

Edited:

Ravenholm has a small, easy-to-miss passage containing a corpse and a pistol. Even worse, there's a mattress, implying the poor soul had been living there for quite some time, hearing everything.

Edited:

God, I love TvTropes they made HL2 10x creepier than it needs to be.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative x 187Agree x 21Artistic x 8Friendly x 7Late x 4Winner x 4Dumb x 2Funny x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,749 Posts
    Do you mean the ambient sounds?
    He means the ambient sounds of the people moaning and gasping, the ghost like sounds.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Certified Catgirl Maid
    January 2006
    9,520 Posts
    This has got to be the scariest f'ing thing ever.

That and the zombie sounds.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    few words to create space
    January 2009
    7,977 Posts
    Honestly, the first time you enter Ravenholm and this short music plays to greet you. That's pretty creepy. Also, GMan's TV. The whole part is very eerie. D0g flies away on the dropship, then the barrier moves towards you and makes loud noise in the process. When things get silent again you hear this weird music, you follow it, only to find unplugged TV with GMan in it, which instantly turns off when you reach it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 21Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    11,740 Posts
    One word.
    Ravenholm.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree x 48Disagree x 9Dumb x 1Friendly x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    December 2008
    7,310 Posts
    We don't go there anymore.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree x 209Funny x 27Informative x 4Disagree x 4Useful x 2Optimistic x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    May 2010
    3,158 Posts
    I found some parts of the old E3 footage to be creepier than the entire retail game. For example, the original intro to Ravenholm by docks was much more eerie than the retail intro. Seeing the town in the distance with all these creepy shadows being cast made it seem foreboding. Plus the zombies on the docks had a whole "they got caught just before they managed to escape" type thing going on. Plus the hydra, I wish they kept that bastard in even though it was apparently not fun to fight. The way it glowed was very other worldly and I think they pulled that demo off very nicely. Additionally, while it isn't really a Valve game seeing as they had little input into it, Opposing force had some creepy / tense moments. The intro was very well done in my opinion and it gave a really good sense of fighting against overwhelming odds right from the start (they way you pass by your own dead comrades added to this too) and those fucking voltigore tunnels where they where nesting were pretty god damn scary when you had no ammo. Also the places where you can hear other marines over the radios was kind of ominous, especially the one just before the pit worm's lair and later on you find the squad that got iced by it.

Other than that though I have to say I didn't really find much of HL2 scary, creepy, tense or otherwise "mindfucking". HL1 had a couple of moments though, like those fucking ichthyosaurs...

Edit: Actually, that place in Anticitizen One where you break the wooden board and a bunch of dead headcrabs fall down was pretty weird. Oh and the Gman TV as mentioned earlier. Plus some of the un-used music was really strange, some of it was along the same lines as the one that played during the Gman TV part, filled with discordant pianos and creaking sounds and other weird shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 60Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    May 2010
    258 Posts
    All of Ricochet
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Anonymous Proxy Show Events Funny Funny x 210Agree Agree x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    May 2010
    297 Posts
    If you shoot of the headcrab from the host's face it shows the host in a permanent state of screaming. His last moments of freedom where spent screaming in agony before it's death.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Romania Show Events Agree Agree x 133Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 7Friendly Friendly x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    7,289 Posts
    But then, you hear it stalking you, the strained breathing, the moaning, the horrible agony the thing is
    You walk to a door, only to hear that horrible raspy breath.
    You wonder what abomination of mankind that beast could be.
    You open the door to see a carrier for horrible animals.
    This, except it blew the door off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 46Funny Funny x 4 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    4,982 Posts
    When ever a tf2 player dies just as they vocalize. My friend made me almost shit myself when he thought it would be funny to drop a dead laughing engie ragdoll from above me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 175Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    July 2009
    1,901 Posts

is it a rebel being turned into a stalker? :ohdear:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly x 97Agree x 16Informative x 3Dumb x 1Useful x 1Winner x 1Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    4,982 Posts
    Definitely a human being tortured.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 146Informative Informative x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,806 Posts

is it a rebel being turned into a stalker? :ohdear:

Jesus reading this thread has made the Half Life universe a fuck tonne darker for me.

And just think, EP3 is going to be scarier.

:saddowns:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 193Funny Funny x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,575 Posts
    Sounds like Dr Magnusson.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 168Agree Agree x 2 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    1,789 Posts
    That part in episode two where you see a hunter at the window (where Alyx gets injured)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 152 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    11,740 Posts
    This entire thread makes me :ohdear:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree x 114Funny x 2Disagree x 1Winner x 1Dumb x 1 (list)