1. Post #1
    June 2010
    19 Posts
    It crashes when I launch the game... why?

YES - I run directx 9
    NO - I don't need more RAM
    NO - I don't have to buy a new video card
    NO - I don't have to buy a new computer
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    273 Posts
    What are your system specs and operating system?
    What error does it give you?
    What games work on your computer?

3. Post #3
    October 2009
    595 Posts
    Do this.

Go to your Games Library, and Right click Gmod, Properties, and set Launch Options. Enter this exactly

-dxlevel 80

This lowers the direct x level of the game, so it can support your graphics card, or increase performance. 80 for DXlevel 8.0 (90,9.0, etc..)

This should fix your problems as it fixed mine when I had Gmod on my laptop.

You can also lower it to -dxlevel 70 if necessary.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    June 2010
    19 Posts
    What are your system specs and operating system?
    What error does it give you?
    What games work on your computer?
    1. Like I said...NO I DON'T NEED A NEW COMPUTER

2. hl2.exe has stopped working

3. Every other game works with directx 9 on my computer (cs:s, tf2, portal, etc)

Edited:

Do this.

Go to your Games Library, and Right click Gmod, Properties, and set Launch Options. Enter this exactly

-dxlevel 80

This lowers the direct x level of the game, so it can support your graphics card, or increase performance. 80 for DXlevel 8.0 (90,9.0, etc..)

This should fix your problems as it fixed mine when I had Gmod on my laptop.

You can also lower it to -dxlevel 70 if necessary.
    Like I said...I SUPPORT DIRECTX 9. Steam accepts my computer to run the game. Besides, if I run 8 or 8.1 then I will crash everytime an explosion happens or when someone gets shot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    October 2009
    595 Posts
    I'm sorry, are you Fucking Retarded? Why would lowering the DX Level crash your game with explosions? Have you tested this?

6. Post #6
    June 2010
    19 Posts
    I'm sorry, are you Fucking Retarded? Why would lowering the DX Level crash your game with explosions? Have you tested this?
    I'm sorry, are you fucking retarded? Why do you think I'm forcing it to DirectX 9?

7. Post #7
    October 2009
    595 Posts
    Look. You can answer the questions we give you without doucheness, or you can go somewhere else. If you would explain your system specs and such we could most likely find a solution, but with your attitude, I don't think anyone would want to help you.

8. Post #8
    June 2010
    19 Posts
    Look. You can answer the questions we give you without doucheness, or you can go somewhere else. If you would explain your system specs and such we could most likely find a solution, but with your attitude, I don't think anyone would want to help you.
    And your attitude - suddenly cussing out of no where - is no help to me, so if you're not gonna help me, you might as well leave the thread.

I never gave any negative comments with my answers, not until you cussed at me.
    All I did was give information and reason why those solutions will definitely not work.

9. Post #9
    October 2009
    595 Posts
    Look, i know i shouldn't have cussed. Now are your video drivers up to date?

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    273 Posts

3. Every other game works with directx 9 on my computer (cs:s, tf2, portal, etc)

Edited:

Like I said...I SUPPORT DIRECTX 9. Steam accepts my computer to run the game. Besides, if I run 8 or 8.1 then I will crash everytime an explosion happens or when someone gets shot.
    Did I ever say you needed a new computer? No.

What are your system specs and operating system? It can be useful to know that to try and diagnose the problem. If you dont want to tell us any information, then why are you asking for help?

11. Post #11
    June 2010
    19 Posts
    Look, i know i shouldn't have cussed. Now are your video drivers up to date?
    Yes

Edited:

What are your system specs and operating system? It can be useful to know that to try and diagnose the problem. If you dont want to tell us any information, then why are you asking for help?
    My OS is Vista Home Basic 32* bit
    I have 1.00 GB RAM
    My processor is the Intel Celeron - 540 1.86GHz

Just incase you will comment on my admittedly weak system, I mentioned before I could run other more advanced games, so I don't think my system would be the problem to GMOD, as it accepts the game.

12. Post #12
    October 2009
    595 Posts

Thats what I was trying to say.

Yes

Edited:

I have 1.00 GB RAM

Just incase you will comment on my admittedly weak system, I mentioned before I could run other more advanced games, so I don't think my system would be the problem to GMOD, as it accepts the game.
    Well nothing seems to be a problem there, and Vista shouldn't be the problem, as you can run other source games. Try reinstalling?

13. Post #13
    June 2010
    19 Posts
    And that is what I answered. kthx back to helping me

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    273 Posts
    Yes

Edited:

I have 1.00 GB RAM

What graphics card is it?

Have you tried verifying your game cache and setting -autoconfig in your launch options?

15. Post #15
    June 2010
    19 Posts
    What graphics card is it?

Have you tried verifying your game cache and setting -autoconfig in your launch options?
    x3100

Yes I tried verifying.
    I will try doing autoconfig.

Edited:

Doesn't seem to work.
    But now it doesn't crash, it does these following things:

1. Instantly loads the game
    2. Exits out after 2-5 seconds.

Edited:

Well nothing seems to be a problem there, and Vista shouldn't be the problem, as you can run other source games. Try reinstalling?
    I'm reinstalling right now...

16. Post #16
    October 2009
    595 Posts
    x3100

Yes I tried verifying.
    I will try doing autoconfig.

Edited:

Doesn't seem to work.
    But now it doesn't crash, it does these following things:

1. Instantly loads the game
    2. Exits out after 2-5 seconds.

Edited:

I'm reinstalling right now...
    If that doesn't fix it, it may be something else. Did you just purchase Garry's Mod? I mean has it done this previously? (Few days/weeks ago) I think it could be an issue relevant to the Update problem.

17. Post #17
    June 2010
    19 Posts
    If that doesn't fix it, it may be something else. Did you just purchase Garry's Mod? I mean has it done this previously? (Few days/weeks ago) I think it could be an issue relevant to the Update problem.
    it still doesn't work. This has happened to every source game that I had purchased. This is probably happening because on dxlevels 8/8.1 cancels rapid particles, unfortunately my source engine won't accept that, so it crashes. Atleast, that's my theory.

18. Post #18
    October 2009
    595 Posts
    Hmm,try -dxlevel 100

which is version 10.0 of Direct X.

19. Post #19
    June 2010
    19 Posts
    Nope, has the same effect as 90.

20. Post #20
    October 2009
    595 Posts
    Hmm, I don't know what else to do. :-/

EDIT: if this happens with every DXLevel, then I don't believe that it will not run on DX8, just saying. I hope we can find a solution soon.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,262 Posts
    Wait.... 1.86 GHz....
    My PC has trouble sometimes with 2.2Ghz quad core...
    So.. Yes, And you ram isn't what it has been.

Edited:

Edited:

I think that If you respond like this, people don't feel free to help you. You are using caps all the time, they just want to know some things. If I ask you something, and you only say it's not that, then no one can help you. You have to post your specs, cause YOU can think it are good specs, but it aren't.

22. Post #22
    August 2009
    225 Posts
    From steam's site... Minimum: 1.7 GHz Processor, 512MB RAM, DirectX® 8.1 level Graphics Card (Requires support for SSE), Windows® Vista/XP/2000, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

You've got: Vista (Eats up about 400mb of ram idleing)
    1.00 GB RAM (So that chops your ram down a bit)
    Intel Celeron - 540 1.86GHz (Not too terrible of a processor, I run on a 2.1ghz.)

If you really want to see a good gameplay performance increase, get another gigabyte of ram. Two gigs barely even cuts it for me, so I have four now.

Steam states the requirements as that low, when in reality, that's just to be able to run the game in a very basic state. Getting more ram should help out any slowdowns, but as for crashing, because of a gunshot or explosion sounds like a Video card issue. Turning down the DX Level is about all you can do at that point, it should make performance jump up too.

23. Post #23
    November 2009
    1,563 Posts
    Yes

Edited:

I have 1.00 GB RAM

--> Vista Home Basic 32* bit = yes good ole vista HB32. stock OS for mays computers of its time
    --> 1.00 GB RAM = Shallow. consider more ram
    --> Intel Celeron - 540 1.86GHz = i dont think this would cause problem unless it's a Cel M (Celeron M (Mobile) processor = Laptop = not the best to game on)

Also whats your video look like? If your using onboard video (which intel boards are notorious for)then your eating ram there too and it may be too shallow which brings us back to the RAM upgrade

With your setup you seem to be choking up on resources