1. Post #1
    November 2009
    459 Posts
    Hello together,
    months ago I started work on the Destiny, the huge spaceship from the latest Stargate spin-off Stargate: Universe.
    Since then I worked on it when I had time and nothing better to do. Although I know there is some nice stuff out there to complement my map, I try to make as much as possible by myself. In case of the destiny console and kino dispenser, ...well, they are awesome and much better than anything I could build with Propper or my limited knowledge of the Softimage Mod Tool, so I won't bother making my own shitty ones. CAP ftw!

So this is the result in it's current state, with only a few custom textures and only propper'd models:

Screenshot time!

Gateroom:

Corridors:

Control Interface Room:

KINO room/Eli's bunk:

Observation deck:

Shuttle bay:

Mess hall:

Infirmary:

Dome room/garden:

Overview:

Icarus Base:

Offworld:

There are other areas like the quarters and storage room (can be seen in the overview between the gateroom and observation deck), but not in a shape fit for a screenshot, so I left them out. Also, I wouldn't have much to update if I posted everything now. :P

F.A.Q.:
    Q: Release date?
    A: No idea. Don't add me on Steam just to ask for a release date, I'll simply block you.

Q: Will we be able to walk on the outside of Destiny?
    A: No. Although, if resources don't run low, I might add a damaged shield-protected corridor or the dome room.

Q: Can we visit other planets with the stargate?
    A: Of course, but they will be quite simple and have a very simple sky, since I need a space/star skybox for the destiny.
    Off-world locations on release: Icarus Base, Eden (Forest), Hoth (Ice), White Sands (Desert), and either Temple or Exile (Wasteland)

Q: Will the Icarus base be included?
    A: Partially, at least the gate- and control room.

Q: Your textures look like shit. Will it stay this way?
    A: Probably not, textures are just not a priority for now.

Q: Can I have a demo/beta version of the map?
    A: NO.

Thanks to
    the guys of Carters Addon Pack, as I will use some of their stuff (kino dispenser, destiny dhd, SGU ramp and obviously the stargate): http://carters-addons-pack.comeze.com/forum/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events Mapping King x 85Artistic x 23Dumb x 7Winner x 2Agree x 1Informative x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,974 Posts
    Looking good, I really like this:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,582 Posts
    Your $selfillum is too bright.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree x 3Dumb x 3Disagree x 2Friendly x 1Mapping King x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    July 2008
    37 Posts
    Just found this and it's looking pretty good. If you finish this it will be awesome
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

5. Post #5
    April 2007
    823 Posts
    Working kino-dispenser please.
    I'll make you a darn flying camera if that's your issue. :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events

6. Post #6
    November 2009
    459 Posts
    Thanks

Your $selfillum is too bright.
    Yep, default values. I will tune them when I start to use better custom textures. For now most of them are HL2 default materials.

Working kino-dispenser please.
    I'll make you a darn flying camera if that's your issue. :P
    Well, why don't you just get Carter's Addon Pack? It comes with a working kino dispenser, kino, remote and tons of other Stargate and SGU stuff:
    http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=963938
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,357 Posts
    I really, really like it. But in pictures of the gateroom like this

The lights around the doors really annoy me. They look too unfitting. If you got rid of them the overall feel of the map would be way better.

And yeah, please tone down the $selfillum.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    4,962 Posts
    Holy fuck this is fucking awesome fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckety :byodood:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 16Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,876 Posts
    The architecture is fantastic, but the texturing sucks ass throughout.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 10Disagree Disagree x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    1,861 Posts
    Holy fuck this is fucking awesome fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckety :byodood:
    Your avatar fits this post so well...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    January 2008
    282 Posts
    Like I said in PM's, it looks absolutely awesome and I can't wait! I do agree about the lights around the doors being too much, but the gateroom, besides that, just perfectly emulates the mood of the gateroom in the show.

EDIT: Wow, very creepy/nice touch with the Senator's corpse on the shuttle feed screen...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    4,320 Posts
    Holy shit I'm excited for this, I actually kinda enjoy that show.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

13. Post #13
    November 2009
    459 Posts
    The lights around the doors really annoy me. They look too unfitting. If you got rid of them the overall feel of the map would be way better.
    The lights are there in the show. It's just the intensity of the bloom effect that kills the mood.
    When I get home I will post a screenshot with HDR disabled. I have to confess that I like the LDR version more, but I thought "hey, why don't I compile it with HDR, looks shiny". In retrospect, that probably was a bad train of thoughts...

The architecture is fantastic, but the texturing sucks ass throughout.
    Well, sure, for now. But better than my premature, shortlived attempt at a custom texture. :ohdear:

Wow, very creepy/nice touch with the Senator's corpse on the shuttle feed screen...
    Yeah, just a screencapture but I thought it was funny at the time.

14. Post #14
    Otherworldy Aviation Enthusiast
    May 2007
    663 Posts
    This is incredible! I'm so glad I discontinued work on my own version. If you have named all of the different doors, I'm sure it'd be rather easy to code a simple console that can open/lock/close them remotely.:D

15. Post #15
    I like Ponies!!!
    January 2010
    2,255 Posts
    Looks awesome but it would me much better, ef timer, gates, consoles, dispenser and other buttons were entities, not just models...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Poland Show Events

16. Post #16
    January 2010
    9 Posts
    haha madman trying to hint at the fact you made some

anyway this looks really good i am startting out with mapping and hope to be able to get as good as this

17. Post #17

February 2009
    672 Posts
    very cool

18. Post #18
    January 2008
    975 Posts
    The clock looks cool is that brush or a retexture of the model ?

For the rest amazing map you made here already, some custom textures here and there and it will be fucking sweet :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Belgium Show Events

19. Post #19

February 2009
    672 Posts
    Can i test the map as alpha or beta
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    April 2009
    26 Posts
    I wonder if you can use the creaking/noise ambiance from the destiny and apply it to this map in order to increase the atmosphere? (if you haven't already). Liking it so far!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

21. Post #21
    November 2009
    459 Posts
    Ha! What a link in the Stargate thread can do... ^^

Looks awesome but it would me much better, ef timer, gates, consoles, dispenser and other buttons were entities, not just models...
    Some stuff is working. The timer for example is working, counting down from 3 minutes and then initiating the FTL particle effect. In order to link it to the gate and include things like the gate, consoles or kino dispenser at map start, I probably have to get into lua and release the map as an addon, right?
    Cause a gatespawner file alone wouldn't include the fancier stuff.

Apart from that the only choice would be to let the players delete the models and insert the functional stuff from Carters addon pack themselves each time...not very comfortable.

The clock looks cool is that brush or a retexture of the model ?
    It's a custom model with a cut screencap as temporary texture. The display with the ancient digits is a custom animated texture.
    BTW: does anyone know if it's possible to add an alpha channel to an animated texture for the $selfillum effect? Had no luck so far. Except with the dots, but that's no wonder as that's not an animated material.

Can i test the map as alpha or beta
    No

I wonder if you can use the creaking/noise ambiance from the destiny and apply it to this map in order to increase the atmosphere? (if you haven't already). Liking it so far!
    There is background noise? Never noticed that. :P
    I'm not a fan of forced permanent background noise/ambience in games.
    As for "normal" sound effects(doors, buttons, etc.): learning to use a sound editing tool to extract the effects from episodes is on my to-do list.

22. Post #22
    June 2007
    917 Posts
    cough cough carters pack destiny shuttle fly outside your ship cough cough hehe... talk with izraider see if he will let you use his shuttle..... and you can release on our svn if you want id like you to be a part of our pack... i sent you a pm... idea is that you go to the door open it enter the shuttle and fly around to the planets.. or close to a sun etc.... a working door on the shuttle? would be nice to see.. consoles you can use..

i have the destiny door sounds i will get the consols and everything needed... pm me i will go in to details

Edited:

There is background noise? Never noticed that. :P
    I'm not a fan of forced permanent background noise/ambience in games.
    As for "normal" sound effects(doors, buttons, etc.): learning to use a sound editing tool to extract the effects from episodes is on my to-do list.[/QUOTE]

as i have said i will take care of the sounds for you... i do for our pack... there is an abient sound yes

i will get=shuttle door, dhd button press ie consols diffrent ones... ftl enter and dropp out, and anything else needed...

what i have are= doors.. locks stand alone, ambient back ground needs looping in lua.. and door buttons.. all clean sounds..

pm me and i will forward what i have and explain how the others get my work in the pack

Edited:

possibly another idea can be the air scrubbers you can open the panel and have the thing come out and you press e to add more stuff or have to go grab sand from a planet.. upon first loading the map and water etc.. just ideas

Edited:

another idea.. would be use our destiny turrets also some alien encounters where they can be shot down with the turrets.. some steam effects in the hall ways...some damage ie.. malfuntion doors that you can repair.. or something like sparks flying when attacked in the inside of stuff..

23. Post #23
    November 2009
    459 Posts
    Whoa, I just now see this posting. God, I type too slow. Check your PMs.
    One can really see your excitement in your post and PM. ^^

possibly another idea can be the air scrubbers you can open the panel and have the thing come out and you press e to add more stuff or have to go grab sand from a planet.. upon first loading the map and water etc.. just ideas
    Heh, I thought of something like that after I'd seen the first 6 episodes.
    The need for oxygen, water and energy of the destiny crew would work cool with LifeSupport. But that'd be just too much for the beginning, so I scratched that idea pretty fast.

24. Post #24
    June 2007
    917 Posts
    yes im an exited kinda guy.. i love stargate and startrek.. i love it when good people work on great stuff...

what i meant with ls is that when you first load a map or you can have the option.. you can gather the stuff you need just like in the show.. its up to you just a thought.. would make a good idea that way we have goals to acomplish sorta roll play

25. Post #25
    January 2008
    975 Posts
    yes i know how to get alpha mask in a animated texture, you need vtex and you need to export every image with the alpha mask in 32bit Targa file's (.TGA) than just use the vtex animator compiler and your done, if you can't figure this out, just send me the textures and i will do it for you :)

Ps: can you send me the custom clock want to have a look :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Belgium Show Events

26. Post #26
    June 2007
    917 Posts
    another idea would be to have an elevator like on the show go down a couple levels say to the other observation area the large dome or the brain chair :-) room ill do some work on sounds tonight when it cools off.. to freaking hot right now to do anything

27. Post #27
    April 2009
    930 Posts
    Looks good, but those screenshots of the gateroom hurt my eyes, literally. Maybe tone down the white lights everywhere a little?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

28. Post #28
    June 2009
    294 Posts
    Looks good, but those screenshots of the gateroom gurt my eyes, literally. Maybe tone down the white lights everywhere a little?
    Agreed, the lights aren't lighting that much on the show
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete France Show Events

29. Post #29
    April 2009
    930 Posts
    By the way, what is the face/brush count like on the map? With that many curves in it etc. the map must be pretty damn large (brush limit wise)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

30. Post #30
    July 2010
    3,963 Posts
    Hey Tikay, great screenshots as usual.
    About ents, isn't it possible to add an extra Lua addon to go along with the map that will spawn ents around Destiny? So if you have addon, it removes models and spawns ents, if you don't, then it keeps the models.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Estonia Show Events

31. Post #31
    January 2009
    163 Posts
    Holy. It is good to see a Destiny map this far along. Another I saw stopped development.

32. Post #32

April 2008
    11 Posts
    Wow this is GREAT, I am really excited for this!!!! Thanks tikay!!!!!!!

33. Post #33
    July 2010
    82 Posts
    U mean that you will release the map 28 september
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Bulgaria Show Events

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    836 Posts
    The map looks good so far...
    but there are a few things that look kind of unneccessary to me at the moment,
    which in return, could be made of textures instead to spare you some brushes for other things.

For once,...the detail on the ceiling:

you could do that with custom textures instead,
    aswell as the brushes which stick out of the wall:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    November 2009
    459 Posts
    Wow, thanks for the input, guys.

yes i know how to get alpha mask in a animated texture, you need vtex and you need to export every image with the alpha mask in 32bit Targa file's (.TGA) than just use the vtex animator compiler and your done, if you can't figure this out, just send me the textures and i will do it for you :)

Ps: can you send me the custom clock want to have a look :)
    Fucking VTEX. All files had their alpha mask and still wouldn't compile correctly. I then then came upon the smart idea to just use the import function of VTFEdit instead of a VTEX batch file. I don't know what VTEX's problem was, but with VTFEdit it works now.
    For the clock, theres not much to see. You would have to compile it first. It's a modfied countdown from portal: http://www.interlopers.net/tutorials/25686
    But if you still want it...
    The model itself is rather unspectacular.

another idea would be to have an elevator like on the show go down a couple levels say to the other observation area the large dome or the brain chair :-) room ill do some work on sounds tonight when it cools off.. to freaking hot right now to do anything
    If you look at the overview, on the right side of the "storage room" letters there are two seperated corridor parts. That's my elevators. Although for now they are just teleporters to simplify matters. There is another one right to the "a nexus" caption, but not working yet.
    What other observation area? The room with the one big window Eli and Chloe found on the run?

Looks good, but those screenshots of the gateroom hurt my eyes, literally. Maybe tone down the white lights everywhere a little?
    Agreed, the lights aren't lighting that much on the show
    Yes yes yes, that's the result of default HDR and $selfillum values. To be honest, turning off HDR makes it look better. :/

By the way, what is the face/brush count like on the map? With that many curves in it etc. the map must be pretty damn large (brush limit wise)
    Code:
    Object names       Objects/Maxobjs  Memory / Maxmem  Fullness 
    ------------       ---------------  ---------------  -------- 
    models                 166/1024         7968/49152    (16.2%) 
    brushes               5348/8192        64176/98304    (65.3%) 
    brushsides           47596/65536      380768/524288   (72.6%) 
    planes               28554/65536      571080/1310720  (43.6%) 
    vertexes             25286/65536      303432/786432   (38.6%) 
    nodes                 3480/65536      111360/2097152  ( 5.3%) 
    texinfos               569/12288       40968/884736   ( 4.6%) 
    texdata                146/2048         4672/65536    ( 7.1%) 
    dispinfos                0/0               0/0        ( 0.0%) 
    disp_verts               0/0               0/0        ( 0.0%) 
    disp_tris                0/0               0/0        ( 0.0%) 
    disp_lmsamples           0/0               0/0        ( 0.0%) 
    faces                11188/65536      626528/3670016  (17.1%) 
    hdr faces                0/65536           0/3670016  ( 0.0%) 
    origfaces             9448/65536      529088/3670016  (14.4%) 
    leaves                3647/65536      116704/2097152  ( 5.6%) 
    leaffaces            13742/65536       27484/131072   (21.0%) 
    leafbrushes           7928/65536       15856/131072   (12.1%) 
    areas                    6/256            48/2048     ( 2.3%) 
    surfedges            94932/512000     379728/2048000  (18.5%) 
    edges                64287/256000     257148/1024000  (25.1%) 
    LDR worldlights        451/8192        39688/720896   ( 5.5%) 
    HDR worldlights          0/8192            0/720896   ( 0.0%) 
    leafwaterdata            0/32768           0/393216   ( 0.0%) 
    waterstrips           2090/32768       20900/327680   ( 6.4%) 
    waterverts               0/65536           0/786432   ( 0.0%) 
    waterindices         46275/65536       92550/131072   (70.6%) 
    cubemapsamples          64/1024         1024/16384    ( 6.3%) 
    overlays                 0/512             0/180224   ( 0.0%) 
    LDR lightdata         [variable]     1901540/0        ( 0.0%) 
    HDR lightdata         [variable]           0/0        ( 0.0%) 
    visdata               [variable]       43396/16777216 ( 0.3%) 
    entdata               [variable]      292682/393216   (74.4%) 
    LDR ambient table     3647/65536       14588/262144   ( 5.6%) 
    HDR ambient table     3647/65536       14588/262144   ( 5.6%) 
    LDR leaf ambient     10560/65536      295680/1835008  (16.1%) 
    HDR leaf ambient      3647/65536      102116/1835008  ( 5.6%) 
    occluders                0/0               0/0        ( 0.0%) 
    occluder polygons        0/0               0/0        ( 0.0%) 
    occluder vert ind        0/0               0/0        ( 0.0%) 
    detail props          [variable]           1/12       ( 8.3%) 
    static props          [variable]           1/47322    ( 0.0%) 
    pakfile               [variable]     5361837/0        ( 0.0%) 
    physics               [variable]     1866446/4194304  (44.5%) 
    physics terrain       [variable]           2/1048576  ( 0.0%)
    Note: this data is from the version I compiled for the screenshots. Not included is all the hidden stuff.

About ents, isn't it possible to add an extra Lua addon to go along with the map that will spawn ents around Destiny? So if you have addon, it removes models and spawns ents, if you don't, then it keeps the models.
    Yes, that's what I meant in my response to Madman07. I just have to wrap my head around lua first (or kick my ego in the ass and take help from someone else...).

U mean that you will release the map 28 september
    Is that a question or exclamation?
    Please get a dictionary and look up the terms "hopefully" and "close to", then read again.

The map looks good so far...
    but there are a few things that look kind of unneccessary to me at the moment,
    which in return, could be made of textures instead to spare you some brushes for other things.

For once,...the detail on the ceiling:

you could do that with custom textures instead,
    aswell as the brushes which stick out of the wall:
    I don't see problems there, yet, as those are no brushes. Alot of what you see there are models and there are still some func_detail candidates to turn into models.
    You should see how it looks when I hide the props and func_details in hammer.

36. Post #36

February 2009
    672 Posts
    hidden stuff ? some examples?

37. Post #37
    November 2009
    459 Posts
    hidden stuff ? some examples?
    There are other areas like the dome room, some quarters, storage room (can be seen in the overview between the gateroom and observation deck) infirmary and mess hall, but not in a shape fit for a screenshot, so I left them out. Also, I wouldn't have much to update if I posted everything now. :P

38. Post #38
    January 2010
    9 Posts
    About ents, isn't it possible to add an extra Lua addon to go along with the map that will spawn ents around Destiny?
    I think that madman07 is trying to create an entity spawner to spawn the carter ents so if that works you should be able to add the ents in and have them spawn when the map is loaded pretty much is avons gatespawner just coded to spawn carter ents

39. Post #39
    June 2010
    171 Posts
    Will this have other planets to go to like the one from "Time" and the one from "Water".

40. Post #40
    June 2007
    917 Posts
    Will this have other planets to go to like the one from "Time" and the one from "Water".

from what i understand he will have most if not all of them