1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,860 Posts
    These past few weeks my computer has been overheating very easily. I'm not talking about just temperature readings. It sounds like a jet engine and it heats up my room. I have no idea what is going on. Last night I cleaned every bit of dust out and it's STILL doing it.

Specs (not the best in the world)

nVidia GeForce 7600 GS
    2 GB ram 266 MHz
    Pentium 4 3.6 GHz (2 CPUs)
    250 GB hard disk

and it's all put inside of a Dell Optiplex GX260 case/motherboard. The reason it's in there is because I used to have a Core 2 Duo until I overclocked and it ruined the motherboard as well as the CPU.

I'm thinking it's the case but I am not 100% sure

2. Post #2
    June 2010
    904 Posts
    Try to replace the CPU fan, for the time being I recommend you take the side of your case off.

3. Post #3
    May 2008
    898 Posts
    Download speedfan (http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php)

Then post the temperature readings. Computers do get pretty hot naturally, and I know for a fact that my computer is really loud, it could just be that your fans are old
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    July 2010
    336 Posts
    2 CPUs? That's trolling, it's called Dual Core
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    May 2008
    898 Posts
    On a Pentium 4 its probably hyper-threading, or he actually has a server motherboard. (Trying not to sound patronising here, sorry)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    8,118 Posts
    no
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Computers do get pretty hot naturally, and I know for a fact that my computer is really loud, it could just be that your fans are old
    what
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    July 2010
    336 Posts
    Buy better heatsink or cooler, or measure the tempratures using Speccy, 10 - 80 is fine 80+ = overheating

8. Post #8
    May 2008
    898 Posts
    Are you really starting a Hardware-Temperature-Measuring-Software-Fanboy war? they both do the job so why correct me?

what
    what?

9. Post #9
    June 2010
    229 Posts
    Do not take the side panel off off your case that disrupts airflow, and allows dust and dirt to get in. Get a better cpu cooler since your cpu is clocked high. Try to get your computer on a hard surface, try not to let it sit on carpet.

I don't know if you want to take it this far but cut a few fan holes on top of your case, since heat rises, the fans on top will push the hot air out easily.

Hope this helps.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    8,118 Posts
    Are you really starting a Hardware-Temperature-Measuring-Software-Fanboy war? they both do the job so why correct me?
    it's common knowledge that HWMonitor is more accurate than speedfan, and it records maximum temperature which is what is important here

they both do the job, but hwmonitor does it much better

11. Post #11
    SirCrest is my life, so is yours.
    October 2009
    7,457 Posts
    I have a Pentium 4 3.00GHz and its single core, Altough i did read something about Hyperthreading.. I have an nVidia 7600gs and 2gb of ram too. Mine never overheats, I've got the stock GPU and CPU fan, And some kind of fan on the side of the case with a tube to the CPU Fan (Came with the case) that blows air straight to the cpu fan. Also an fan infront of the HDD's

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    926 Posts
    It's a Dell. They cool horrendously.

My dad's Dell used to overheat before we put it in a new case.

Suggestion to OP: get a new case Or a better heatsink.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    4,905 Posts
    I use old Pentium 4 processors as radiators

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,860 Posts
    It's called hyper-threading

Do not take the side panel off off your case that disrupts airflow, and allows dust and dirt to get in. Get a better cpu cooler since your cpu is clocked high. Try to get your computer on a hard surface, try not to let it sit on carpet.

I don't know if you want to take it this far but cut a few fan holes on top of your case, since heat rises, the fans on top will push the hot air out easily.

Hope this helps.
    I have the side panel on, yes. Hopefully I can get a better CPU cooler because I have the default shitty Dell one. And I have it in a desk which is closed in, so the hot air must be flowing inside of the computer. That might be a problem, correct?

And yes it did help, thanks!

I have a Pentium 4 3.00GHz and its single core, Altough i did read something about Hyperthreading.. I have an nVidia 7600gs and 2gb of ram too. Mine never overheats, I've got the stock GPU and CPU fan, And some kind of fan on the side of the case with a tube to the CPU Fan (Came with the case) that blows air straight to the cpu fan. Also an fan infront of the HDD's

Yeah I found out there is no such thing as a pentium 4 dual core, just Pentium D or something. Hyper-threading makes the CPU display 2 cores. I thought mine was dual core but apparently not! D:

Hopefully I will get some new fans. Here is a picture of my computer's insides. Most of it is scrapped from other computers, the HDD and the GPU is from my other computer that never had heating issues. I could have had 4 gigs but the motherboard can support over 2 gigs. Piece of shit Dell.

Sorry for the crappy hosting.
    http://img188.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img0160nm.jpg

Edited:

It's a Dell. They cool horrendously.

My dad's Dell used to overheat before we put it in a new case.

Suggestion to OP: get a new case Or a better heatsink.
    Suggestion added! I have my old case. It was an X-Infinity case or something. Nice cooling, but the motherboard wont support the LED lights on it

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    926 Posts
    Suggestion added! I have my old case. It was an X-Infinity case or something. Nice cooling, but the motherboard wont support the LED lights on it
    Do you still have the crappy OEM ducting on the processor? The easy way is to get a new heatsink, the hard way (that we did ) is to drill new holes into the case, and use chicken wire and some Crazy Glue to hold it in place.

Wow, I just realized what we did.

I hate being Polish sometimes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    June 2010
    229 Posts
    In that desk you have your computer in is probably collecting a lot of heat and is being put back into your computer, so it doesn't have a chance to cool off. Try taking it out of the desk temporarily and see if the temperatures get any cooler. (So yes the desk may be adding to your overheating problem.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,860 Posts
    In that desk you have your computer in is probably collecting a lot of heat and is being put back into your computer, so it doesn't have a chance to cool off. Try taking it out of the desk temporarily and see if the temperatures get any cooler. (So yes the desk may be adding to your overheating problem.)
    It has to be the desk.

I just installed a DVD+RW drive and my fans made an odd sound.

It started out with a low hum, then it got louder to a loud jet noise, then back to the hum.

18. Post #18
    June 2010
    229 Posts
    It has to be the desk.

I just installed a DVD+RW drive and my fans made an odd sound.

It started out with a low hum, then it got louder to a loud jet noise, then back to the hum.
    On my last pc my fans were making a low hum and a loud hum when running a game or something, so try to get a compressed air can for electronics and clean out the dust. Also have you taken the pc out of the desk yet to see if there were any temperature improvements?

19. Post #19
    SirCrest is my life, so is yours.
    October 2009
    7,457 Posts
    WTF! There even isnt a fan mounted on your heatsink...
    I would start with that..

20. Post #20
    April 2009
    168 Posts
    Just clean the dust out of your computer for now and see if it imporves the temperature.

21. Post #21
    April 2010
    2,662 Posts
    :cawg:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    344 Posts
    Download this awesome program and which reads the best temperatures.
    It's called Speccy, download it from www.piriform.com.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    3,423 Posts
    Uhm I never bothered to ask, but I heard it's fine as long as it doesn't go above 80.

Would that be Celcious or Fahrenheit ? Because for a while it's been 53c (That's around 127 F) D:

24. Post #24
    >implications unpleasant
    June 2008
    11,181 Posts
    Uhm I never bothered to ask, but I heard it's fine as long as it doesn't go above 80.

Would that be Celcious or Fahrenheit ? Because for a while it's been 53c (That's around 127 F) D:
    C means Celsius, I don't remember it being called Felsius.

25. Post #25
    November 2008
    199 Posts
    what

Edited:

did you even read what you quoted?

Edited:

Anyway, it's in Celsius (or 176Fahrenheit).

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    3,423 Posts
    Dayum. That's pretty hot for still being 30-40 degrees under overheating. Might have to do some simple maintenance to cool it down since I don't like the thought of something being cookable in my PSU.

Thanks.

27. Post #27
    November 2008
    199 Posts
    Depends. I'm assuming "it" means your CPU.

What processor is it?