1. Post #1
    June 2009
    1,859 Posts

About
    Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is an upcoming American film directed by Edgar Wright based on the comic book series Scott Pilgrim by Bryan Lee O'Malley. The film is about Scott Pilgrim (Michael Cera) meeting the girl of his dreams, Ramona Flowers (Mary Elizabeth Winstead). In order to win Ramona over, Scott learns that he must battle Ramona's seven evil exes, who are coming to kill him.

Cast
    [LIST]
    * Michael Cera as Scott W. Pilgrim
    * Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Ramona Victoria Flowers, Scott's love interest
    * Kieran Culkin as Wallace Wells
    * Alison Pill as Kim Pine
    * Mark Webber as Stephen Stills
    * Johnny Simmons as "Young" Neil Nordegraf
    * Anna Kendrick as Stacey Pilgrim
    * Ellen Wong as Knives Chau. Knives is Scott's ex-girlfriend who is still obsessed with him.[3]
    * Satya Bhabha as Matthew Patel
    * Chris Evans as Lucas Lee
    * Brandon Routh as Todd Ingram
    * Mae Whitman as Roxy Richter
    * Shota Saito as Kyle Katayanagi
    * Keita Saito as Ken Katayanagi
    * Jason Schwartzman as Gideon Gordon Graves
    * Brie Larson as Natalie "Envy" Adams. One of Scott Pilgrim's ex-girlfriends who has become a famous pop star.[3]
    * Erik Knudsen as Luke "Crash" Wilson
    * Aubrey Plaza as Julie Powers
    * Tennessee Thomas as Lynette Guycott
    * Jean Yoon as Mrs. Chau
    [/LIST]
    Characters

*Scott W. Pilgrim is the 23-year-old protagonist. He is the bass player for the band Sex Bob-omb with his friends Stephen Stills and Kim Pine. Though initially an unemployed slacker, he later gets a job as a dish washer (and food prep trainee) at The Happy Avocado vegetarian restaurant. The character's name was inspired by the song "Scott Pilgrim" from Plumtree's 1998 album Predicts the Future. He believes that smoking is evil, and claims not to drink, though flashbacks show him drunk and he later begins drinking socially. Scott seems to suffer from memory problems, which his friends chock up to his stupidity.Though the memory problems began after his break up with Envy Adams whom he dated through college. The series also references a mysterious "dark side" of Scott's personality which he avoids as much as possible. He is initially devastated by his break up with Envy Adams, and begins dating Knives Chau before meeting Ramona. The two begin dating, but Scott is plagued by Ramona's elusive past and her "7 evil exes" led by the mysterious "Gideon", all of whom challenge him in succession for the right to date her. So far he has defeated all of Ramona's 7 evil exes. Scott obtained a new sword called the, "Power of Understanding" after realizing he is no better than Gideon when it comes to relationships.

Ramona Victoria Flowers is an American expatriate from New York and "ninja delivery girl" for Amazon.ca. She is 24 years old and Scott's main love interest. She reveals very little and is very guarded about her past in New York before she moved to Toronto. She is capable of traveling through subspace and has seven evil exes who challenge Scott for her affection. When fighting, she typically uses an oversized mallet as her weapon, which she can retrieve from her purse through the use of subspace. She changes her hairstyle frequently and becomes anxious when Gideon is mentioned or brought up. Her head glows periodically, usually when she is upset or jealous, though she herself is unaware of this until Kim Pine brings attention to it in volume 5. Ramona now owns Scott's old sword "Power of Love".

Wallace Wells is Scott's "cool gay roommate". He is 25 years old and first met Scott in college. Compared to Scott, Wallace is more responsible and mature, holding down a job and paying for most of their expenses while they lived together; most of their apartment's furniture and possessions belong to Wallace and likewise during a grocery shopping trip, most of the items (and all the luxuries) are labeled as for Wallace. Wallace usually serves as Scott's mentor during his trials, assisting Scott with training for his fights against Ramona's exes and gathering intel on them. He dates and later moves in with his "psychic" boyfriend, Mobile. The character was inspired by O'Malley's former roommate Christopher Butcher, the co-founder of PopImage and PreviewsReview.

Knives Chau, 18 years old, is a Chinese-Canadian high school girl and self-described "Scottaholic". Scott dated her for a short while, but broke up with her after he met Ramona (though he initially "forgets" to break up with her). Initially a quiet, typical school girl, after their break-up, she cut and dyed her hair and changed her clothing style, hoping to win Scott back by becoming more of a hipster. Her discovery that Scott was cheating on her with Ramona causes tension between the two girls, sometimes culminating in actual fights, though later the two reach a level of acceptance of one another. She starts dating Sex Bob-omb's groupie Young Neil, although she is still in love with Scott. She and Young Neil later break up, but Knives still hangs out with the group, and by Volume 5 has developed a possibly mutual attraction to Stephen Stills. She used to idolize Envy Adams, based on her success as a musician and her former relationship with Scott, but is soon disenchanted when Envy has her drummer Lynette punch Knives hard enough to knock the highlights out of her hair. Knives' father becomes aware of Scott's past relationship with his daughter, causing him to hunt him down and try to kill him, though Scott later earns his acceptance. Knives becomes aware of her father's plot when Scott tries to hide in the Second Cup, where Knives is newly employed. In the Vol 6, Knives is going off to college. Scott and Knives reconciliate with each other and remain friends.

Ramona's Evil Exes

The League of Evil Exes was founded when Ramona left Gideon for Toronto. When he finds her six other exes online, he manipulates them into believing it's Ramona's fault she left them. He uses their anger to mould them in the shape of evil. They believe this to be a plan to get revenge on her, but Gideon's secret intention is to use Ramona's ability of sub-space travel to manipulate the minds of everyone in the world. The team was founded two weeks prior to Vol. 1.

* 1. Matthew Patel is Ramona's first evil ex-boyfriend. According to Ramona, they only kissed once, and broke up after about a week. He is Indian, has mystical powers and can summon "Demon Hipster Chicks" at will. Scott gets $2.10 for defeating him.

* 2. Lucas Lee is Ramona's second evil ex-boyfriend, a pro skateboarder turned movie star (and a "sell out"). Scott gets $14 in coins and a mithril skateboard (that he can't use since he lacks a skateboarding proficiency) for defeating him. He is named after pro skateboarder turned actor Jason Lee.

* 3. Todd Ingram is Ramona's third evil ex-boyfriend. He is a bass player for The Clash At Demonhead. He has special "vegan-based" psychic powers (although he is secretly consuming non-vegan foods). He is arrogant, narcissistic, uncaring, and a habitual liar. He dates Envy, his childhood love, but cheats on her repeatedly with Lynette, the band's drummer, as well as with other girls. He is caught by the Vegan Police for breaking his diet, and has his powers taken away, giving Scott the edge. Scott gets some money (again in coins) plus an extra life when he defeats him.

* 4. Roxanne "Roxie" Richter is Ramona's fourth evil ex, an ex-girlfriend, and her former college roommate. She is a "half-ninja" and an accomplished fine artist, who taught Ramona much of what she knows in terms of her ninja abilities and subspace. Roxie has an inferiority complex over her "half-ninja" background, as well as her figure. She claims Scott is a "pussy" who refuses to fight his own battles, prompting Scott to finally mature in his relationship with Ramona, gaining a sword and "The Power of Love". When defeated by Scott, she explodes into a cascade of woodland creatures, a reference to Sonic the Hedgehog.

* 5. & 6. Kyle & Ken Katayanagi are Ramona's fifth and sixth evil ex-boyfriends, a pair of Japanese twins who often finish each other's sentences. The pair are "expert roboticists" who summon robots to fight Scott. They vowed to work together closely once the pair realized Ramona had been cheating on them with each other. The twins capture Kim Pine to lure Scott to them, pointing out in the meantime that Kim may still be in love with Scott. Scott defeats them and gets $79.95 for Ken, $74.95 for Kyle, and a $2 twins bonus (again all in coins) after defeating them. He also unlocks an achievement for defeating them simultaneously.

* 7. Gideon Gordon Graves is the leader of the League of Ramona's Evil Ex-Boyfriends and suggested to be Ramona's boyfriend previous to Scott, in New York City. He is mentioned several times throughout the series, but never seen fully until the end of Volume 3. He is the owner of "The Chaos Theater" (A reference to EarthBound), in NYC and "GGG Heavy Industries," which is opening "Chaos Theater Toronto". Ramona has also "worked" for him previously in an unknown capacity, and he eventually makes contact with Scott. There is also a small cat living at Ramona's house by the same name, though the cat is revealed to only be named as such by Ramona as a way of dealing with the break up. Gideon finally appears in the last volume as an inventor and club entrepreneur who is opening a new club, Club Chaos, in Toronto. He begins a relationship with Envy, promoting her new solo album and setting her debut up as his club's opening act. During this time, he meets up with Scott, who flees instead of fighting him, though their altercation is inevitable. He has apparent control over subspace, a side effect of his ability to induce "emotional warfare," which essentially traps one in thier mind with their psychological issues. He is also able to steal Scott's Power of Love katana, and proves to be a competent swordsman. Upon his defeat, he showers $7,777,777.00 (once more, in coins) over Club Chaos.

Soundtrack

The songs by Sex Bob-omb and Crash and the Boys in the film were written by Beck and Broken Social Scene respectively. The soundtrack for the film will be released August 10 by ABKCO Records on vinyl and compact disc. A deluxe version of the soundtrack will be released on September 7, 2010.

1. We Are Sex Bob-Omb – Sex Bob-Omb
    2. Scott Pilgrim - Plumtree
    3. I Heard Ramona Sing - Frank Black
    4. By Your Side - Beachwood Sparks
    5. O Katrina! - Black Lips
    6. I’m So Sad, So Very, Very Sad – Crash and the Boys
    7. We Hate You Please Die - Crash and the Boys
    8. Garbage Truck – Sex Bob-Omb
    9. Teenage Dream - T. Rex
    10. Sleazy Bed Track - The Bluetones
    11. It’s Getting Boring By The Sea - Blood Red Shoes
    12. Black Sheep - Metric
    13. Threshold – Sex Bob-Omb
    14. Anthems For A Seventeen Year-Old Girl - Broken Social Scene
    15. Under My Thumb - The Rolling Stones
    16. Ramona (Acoustic) - Beck
    17. Ramona - Beck
    18. Summertime – Sex Bob-Omb
    19. Threshold 8 bit - Brian LeBarton

Video Game
    Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game is an upcoming side-scrolling beat 'em up game based on the Scott Pilgrim series of graphic novels by Bryan Lee O'Malley, tying in with the upcoming movie, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. It is being published by Ubisoft and developed by Ubisoft Montreal with Ubisoft Chengdu. The game was first announced at Comic Con 2009 in July 2009.It will be released for PlayStation Network on August 10, 2010, and Xbox Live Arcade on August 25, 2010.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 39Dumb Dumb x 37Winner Winner x 4Informative Informative x 2 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    3,791 Posts
    This actually doesn't look that bad. I was extremely surprised when I saw the trailer in theaters.

I'm not a fan of Cera, but I might go see this one.

Edit:

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I went out and bought the first volume of the graphic novels, and ust say after only the first one I am quite hooked and wanting very much to get the next one.

They better not fuck up this movie.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 50Disagree Disagree x 7Useful Useful x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 54Disagree Disagree x 18Dumb Dumb x 11 (list)

4. Post #4
    June 2009
    1,859 Posts
    Kotaku Seems to like it so I got my hopes up
    http://io9.com/5594440/it-was-awesom...m-vs-the-world
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,950 Posts
    If it didn't have Michael Cera, I'd be interested.
    The thing is though, it's a role that's perfect for Cera.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 28Disagree Disagree x 14 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,702 Posts
    Every movie with an awkward, soft spoken teenager is a perfect role for Michael Cera...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 82Funny Funny x 4Late Late x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,950 Posts
    Every movie with an awkward, soft spoken teenager is a perfect role for Michael Cera...
    It just so happens that this wasn't written as a movie to begin with, so it's forgivable.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    November 2007
    589 Posts
    The game is made by paul robertson
    The guy that made pirate baby cabana street fight
    Thats pretty cool
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    June 2009
    1,859 Posts
    The game is made by paul robertson
    The guy that made pirate baby cabana street fight
    Thats pretty cool
    and the Music is by Anamanaguchi
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Hi, my name is mastermaul, and I'm a butt.
    January 2008
    8,329 Posts
    So it's another terrible hipster romance/comedy movie directed towards the 14-24 y/o demographic?

I think the promo pictures of the main characters that are made to look like the writing on some idiot preteen girl's trapper keeper is the worst part about it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 27Agree Agree x 11Disagree Disagree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    2,405 Posts
    I've been waiting for this since the trailer was shown during Kickass.

Me and my girlfriend are seeing it for my birthday. It's one of the few movies I'm actually hyped to see.

12. Post #12
    June 2009
    1,859 Posts
    So it's another terrible hipster romance/comedy movie directed towards the 14-24 y/o demographic?

I think the promo pictures of the main characters that are made to look like the writing on some idiot preteen girl's trapper keeper is the worst part about it.
    you do realize this is based off a widely popular comic which recently just ended

http://www.scottpilgrim.com/

Instead of judging before you see it why don't you read the series and then make your opinion before talking about something you don't know about
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Dumb Dumb x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2008
    7,561 Posts
    Another movie about Michael Cera being awkward and at the end he loses his virginity for the 500th time.

Oh, but this time he fights some people. With some unneeded comic book effects thrown in.

Whoop dee doo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 38Dumb Dumb x 17Disagree Disagree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    hang you're self
    March 2008
    4,712 Posts
    Me in the beginning of the trailer: "Oh, great, another "awkward teen comedy" with Michael Cera."

Towards the end: "Hey, I think I'll give this a chance.

Edited:

Another movie about Michael Cera being awkward and at the end he loses his virginity for the 500th time.

Oh, but this time he fights some people. With some unneeded comic book effects thrown in.

Whoop dee doo.
    What was your favorite scene? You've obviously watched the movie.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    4,051 Posts
    have high hopes because of the badass director
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    March 2008
    172 Posts
    Trailer looked pretty bad ass.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

17. Post #17
    Man I love that romantic comedy where Michael Cera is the awkward teenager chasing that girl who plays by her own rules and there's indie music

In all seriousness however, this looks pretty funny
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny x 39Disagree x 1Late x 1Agree x 1Winner x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    a2h
    Gold Member

September 2008
    2,460 Posts
    I've never heard of Scott Pilgrim or Michael Cera before, but whatever, apart from Cera having a somewhat annoying voice, I love the comic book style effects and the director is awesome so I'm looking forward to this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    13,938 Posts
    i've been seeing posters around my work for this since February. Thought it looked stupid. Heard it was by Edgar Wright. Watched the trailer, now i'm so watching it.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,301 Posts
    What is the difference between Micheal Cera and Jesse Eisenberg?

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    13,938 Posts
    cera was first?

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    736 Posts
    Holy balls, They look exactly alike, except with different hair styles.

23. Post #23
    July 2010
    27 Posts
    Hello,,. Mates. When is the film being released by 20 Century Fox for RELASE IN CINEMAS?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,530 Posts
    no it isnt, scott pilgrim is like the exact opposite of cera's personality

Edited:

again, scott pilgrim is definitely not soft spoken
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    June 2009
    1,859 Posts
    no it isnt, scott pilgrim is like the exact opposite of cera's personality
    Because you've obviously seen the movie already

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,530 Posts
    i dont need to see the movie, he uses his "ima wimpy kid who'll never amount to anything" voice throughout the trailer
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

27. Post #27
    a2h
    Gold Member

September 2008
    2,460 Posts
    Hello,,. Mates. When is the film being released by 20 Century Fox for RELASE IN CINEMAS?
    You're asking us as if we're your slaves but whatever

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Funny x 32Dumb x 2Friendly x 1Zing x 1Bad Reading x 1Artistic x 1Informative x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    2,965 Posts
    Because you've obviously seen the movie already
    To be honest, Cera has used that same voice since Arrested Development. It's his thing. He wasn't perfect for the role, but if he can get his voice above 30 dB, I might not think it was such a poor decision. I know it's a stretch, but he might be able to do it. I do agree with Jasper, he never went outside of his comfort zone of "Classic Cera" in the trailer.

But hey, I'm just some random guy on the Internet, and you're fullmetalninja: Film Casting Professional.

29. Post #29
    World's Okayest Comic Guy
    February 2005
    17,297 Posts
    Here's the music from the trailer
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member

August 2007
    2,966 Posts
    Saw the trailer for this in the cinema, looked pretty awesome, and my friends kept playing Invaders Must Die on their phones for like a week straight after seeing the trailer.

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    2,734 Posts
    ITT: :bandwagon:

Hey how about we stop to consider the movie before blindly bashing Micheal Cera and the whole "hipster" stereotype. Thanks.

I picked up the first 4 issues of the comics and they're pretty funny. I would recommend them to anyone. They're quick and easy reads, but they have a lot of really funny material in them. I can't wait to see it brought to the silver screen.

Edited:

Taken directly from the comic.

32. Post #32
    If someone calls you a whore, salute them!
    July 2007
    13,707 Posts
    Wait, they're making a movie off the second book? Wouldn't it make more sense to make it off the first book?

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    2,734 Posts
    Wait, they're making a movie off the second book? Wouldn't it make more sense to make it off the first book?
    They made it on all of the books, they just picked the coolest named one :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    3,361 Posts
    Another generic Michael Cera movie.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 17Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    2,734 Posts
    Another generic Michael Cera movie.
    :bandwagon:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 39Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,765 Posts
    :bandwagon:
    You've got to admit that he needs find something else to do. sure this looks awesome, but this is literally all the Man does.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    8,103 Posts
    I'm loving the artistic direction in this movie. The comic book effects are a really cool touch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    If someone calls you a whore, salute them!
    July 2007
    13,707 Posts
    They made it on all of the books, they just picked the coolest named one :D
    The Last Airbender all over again.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,765 Posts
    I don't think anything else can suck that much.

40. Post #40
    June 2009
    1,859 Posts
    Kotaku Says otherwise
    http://io9.com/5594440/it-was-awesom...m-vs-the-world

Fucking lucky San Diego Comic con
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)