1. Post #401

April 2011
    3 Posts
    You do have to enter your steam login and password, then your guard key yes? Everyone does this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

2. Post #402
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    840 Posts
    Just used this and my password on my Steam Account was changed after I used mine to login to your Vapor thing.

I had to change it. What the fuck man.
    wat?

You do have to enter your steam login and password, then your guard key yes? Everyone does this?
    If your account is SteamGuard protected, then yes, you need the auth code you get from the email. The same way steam does it.

3. Post #403
    July 2010
    299 Posts
    How do run this on Ubuntu, sorry if i sound like a noob.

4. Post #404
    November 2009
    74 Posts
    How do run this on Ubuntu, sorry if i sound like a noob.
    Run it using mono.

5. Post #405
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,248 Posts
    Wanted to say thanks for this, steam won't work via my tether so I'm either going to have to hunch over my phone to talk with friends on steam or, use Vapor, great program, cheers.

6. Post #406
    June 2010
    243 Posts
    I'm getting an error when trying to run this under Ubuntu 11.10. I'm using the version from Vapor_1.5.rar, the precompiled one.

burrito@burrito-linux:~/selfinstalled/vapor$ mono '/home/burrito/selfinstalled/vapor/Vapor.exe'
    The assembly mscorlib.dll was not found or could not be loaded.
    It should have been installed in the `/usr/lib/mono/2.0/mscorlib.dll' directory.
    Does the missing file mean I have to compile Vapor from source? How would I do that?

If you're curious, I'm attempting to use Vapor becuase Steam (through Wine) is constantly eating up CPU, so I only want to run it when I need to run a game.

7. Post #407

September 2010
    6 Posts
    Broken since today?
    It has worked perfectly for a good while but today this happened:
    I log in, it fetches my friends from server, but then nothing happens. All friends stay "offline" and greyed out.
    Tried a reinstall.

8. Post #408
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    11,230 Posts
    You installed it?
    iirc you just unzip and double click

9. Post #409

September 2010
    6 Posts
    Well, yes. I packaged it into a installable .pkg.tar.xz (Archlinux FYI), and installed it.
    Wasn't working yesterday, started working again today.

10. Post #410
    June 2010
    243 Posts
    I'm getting an error when trying to run this under Ubuntu 11.10. I'm using the version from Vapor_1.5.rar, the precompiled one.

Does the missing file mean I have to compile Vapor from source? How would I do that?

If you're curious, I'm attempting to use Vapor becuase Steam (through Wine) is constantly eating up CPU, so I only want to run it when I need to run a game.
    Solved this by installing libmono-corlib4.0-cil
    If that doesn't work, try libmono-corlib2.0-cil
    According to the people in #ubuntu on freenode :)

11. Post #411
    June 2010
    243 Posts
    After a friend had some concerns with wether Vapor would trigger account disablement, I contacted Valve about it. They said that they don't provide analysis of third party software for VAC compliance (but said "Only cheats (modifications designed to give one player an advantage over other players) will trigger a VAC ban."). The e-mail said I should contact the developer of Vapor for more info on VAC compliance, and that if I use Vapor, it is at my own discretion.

A quick Ctrl+F through the Subscriber Agreement brings up this clause:
    Except as otherwise permitted under Section 2(C) with regard to the SDK, you may not, in whole or in part, copy, photocopy, reproduce, translate, reverse engineer, derive source code, modify, disassemble, decompile, create derivative works based on, or remove any proprietary notices or labels from the Software or any software accessed via Steam without the prior consent, in writing, of Valve.
    The mention of photocopying leads me to believe that that part of the SA was from a generic template of terms of service from the 90s or something. But it does mention reverse engineering, and that Valve would need to be contacted. Has this been done?

12. Post #412
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    840 Posts
    The e-mail said I should contact the developer of Vapor for more info on VAC compliance, and that if I use Vapor, it is at my own discretion.
    As they stated, VAC only bans for cheats. Vapor obviously doesn't fall under this case.

But it does mention reverse engineering, and that Valve would need to be contacted. Has this been done?
    I have attempted to email Alfred Reynolds at Valve before with regards to Vapor, but I never received a response on the issue.

All things considered, Vapor has been around for quite a while and I don't believe anyone has ever been VAC banned or had their Steam account disabled for using it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #413
    June 2010
    243 Posts
    I agree, thanks for the reassurance.

14. Post #414
    April 2011
    2 Posts
    This may be a dumb question, but where do i get the linux version.
    I would love to have this on my slacko puppy :)

15. Post #415
    June 2010
    243 Posts
    This may be a dumb question, but where do i get the linux version.
    I would love to have this on my slacko puppy :)
    (instructions might be a little off because I'm not in Linux at the minute, and know nothing about Slackware or Puppy Linux. You may be able to adapt it.)

Since it is written to run in Mono, and Mono is native to Linux, you should be okay using the normal Mono version which I gather also works on Windows.
    Make sure you have Mono installed on your computer, and also libmono-corlib4.0-cil. For me, on Ubuntu, Mono should already be on there. You can run Vapor by changing the .exe file's permissions to be executable, and then right clicking the file, and pressing "Run in Mono Runtime" (for me it's under the Open With submenu)

If Mono isn't on Puppy, it's here.

16. Post #416
    awh
    September 2011
    64 Posts
    When trying to view a profile of a friend (right click), it opens the URL "http://xdg-open%20http//www.steamcommunity.com/profiles/[profile id]" instead of "http://www.steamcommunity.com/profiles/[profile id]" in the default browser.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

17. Post #417
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    11,230 Posts
    I've been getting disconnected way more than usual today.
    Like 20 times.

Sometimes I can't even send more than 1 message to someone before getting disconnected again.

18. Post #418
    June 2010
    243 Posts
    When trying to view a profile of a friend (right click), it opens the URL "http://xdg-open%20http//www.steamcommunity.com/profiles/[profile id]" instead of "http://www.steamcommunity.com/profiles/[profile id]" in the default browser.
    Mine opens nothing :|

19. Post #419
    awh
    September 2011
    64 Posts
    Mine opens nothing :|
    What DE are you using? Try installing xdg-utils from one of your repositories.

And checking into Util.cs, it seems that if under Mono, it'll use
    Code:
    Process.Start( string.Format( "xdg-open {0:s}", friendUrl ) );
    Instead of just

Code:
    Process.Start( friendUrl );
    when not mono.

Maybe Mono automatically converts links passed to Process.Start to xdg-open by default? If that's the case, you can just remove that entire if tree.

20. Post #420

December 2011
    9 Posts
    Did plans to move this over to GTK3 fall through? This needs it badly. Functionally it's as good as you can expect a Steam client to be on Linux but the UI is baaaaad.

21. Post #421
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    20,065 Posts
    Did plans to move this over to GTK3 fall through? This needs it badly. Functionally it's as good as you can expect a Steam client to be on Linux but the UI is baaaaad.
    GTK3 has limited support for other desktop enviroments than Gnome 3 (eww).
    GTK+ might be older, but it supports many Desktop Environments.
    And I have probably said this before, but it's still important.

22. Post #422
    June 2010
    243 Posts
    What DE are you using? Try installing xdg-utils from one of your repositories.

And checking into Util.cs, it seems that if under Mono, it'll use
    Code:
    Process.Start( string.Format( "xdg-open {0:s}", friendUrl ) );
    Instead of just

Code:
    Process.Start( friendUrl );
    when not mono.

Maybe Mono automatically converts links passed to Process.Start to xdg-open by default? If that's the case, you can just remove that entire if tree.
    I'll look into it. I don't really need it.
    I'm using Compiz for all the eye-candy (I think it's called a compositing manager), gtk-window-decorator as my window decorator, and MATE as my DE. MATE is a fork of Gnome2 by people who raged about Gnome3 changing too much. A pre-release version of it is supported natively by Linux Mint (I'm using it).
    MATE renames a lot of things to Spanish names to prevent clashes. Because Spanish is lovely, apparently. I don't know if a rename inside the code could have caused a problem with this.
    Renames are here: http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/applications

edit: It appears that the MATE dev(s) is unsure whether to be compatible with GTK3 as well. I can't tell by the guy's use of words. His article on his opinion is translated from Spanish.

23. Post #423

April 2012
    1 Posts
    I get the following error when trying to run Vapor 1.5 with Mono:
    Code:
    Unhandled Exception: System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'Vapor.TraceDialog' from assembly 'Vapor, Version=1.5.4369.9031, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
    [ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'Vapor.TraceDialog' from assembly 'Vapor, Version=1.5.4369.9031, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

24. Post #424
    August 2009
    20 Posts
    @ckvns: https://bitbucket.org/VoiDeD/steamre...dled-exception
    The commenter blabbing about making a readme and saying holy crap about the huge amount of packages was me (Btw it was Linux Mint Debian Edition 201204).

25. Post #425
    June 2010
    243 Posts
    How about adding something to notify a user if a message was received in a window that is already open? (like a sound, a flashing taskbar icon, or a message sent through notify-send (run 'man notify-send' in Linux console for more info on that))
    If something like that is already added, I'm not getting it in Linux Mint. I don't get notifications of new messages

26. Post #426
    December 2011
    1,179 Posts
    Bump

Hey Ive had some issues hen starting Vapor and logging in, Avast decides to "check" the files that Vapor is running and I get some errors saying that the file is already in use and vapor crashes.

This is Windows 7 32-bit, I hope you can do something to fix it, a temporary fix was to disable Avast's file system shield.

I get disconnected from steam3 and get this message:

System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Program Files\Vapor\cache\72f78b4c8cc1f62323f8a33f6d53e27d b57c2252.jpg' because it is being used by another process.
    at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
    at System.IO.File.Delete(String path)
    at Vapor.CDNCache.DownloadAvatar(SteamID steamId, Byte[] avatarHash, Action`1 completionHandler)
    at Vapor.FriendControl.UpdateFriend(Friend steamid)
    at Vapor.FriendControl.HandleCallback(CallbackMsg msg)
    at Vapor.Steam3.Update()
    at Vapor.Program.Start(String[] args)
    at Vapor.Program.Start(String[] args)
    The proxy I am running blocks http links to steamcommunity and it seems when it tries to get an avatar the connection is denied but still never closes the avatar files, could this be confirmed?

27. Post #427
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    8,338 Posts
    does this do group chat yet?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

28. Post #428
    June 2010
    243 Posts
    This doesn't work for me, as of today...

"Logged off from Steam3: Fail"

That's a very informative error message you've got there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

29. Post #429
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    8,338 Posts
    Please add group chat; it's the only thing I use (if I just wanted friends I could use Steam for Android)

30. Post #430
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    840 Posts
    This doesn't work for me, as of today...

"Logged off from Steam3: Fail"

That's a very informative error message you've got there.
    That's a generic failure message from the server. It was caused by a 1 in a million change to the underlying protocol.

I'll release a fixed version later today.

As for feature additions; I don't really plan to add anything to Vapor in the future as I'm busy with countless other things.

Edited:

Alright, should be fixed in version 1.6

https://bitbucket.org/VoiDeD/steamre/downloads

31. Post #431
    June 2010
    243 Posts

32. Post #432

July 2012
    1 Posts
    I just tried 1.6 to get around the "Fail" problem in 1.5. Now I get this:

WARNING: The runtime version supported by this application is unavailable.
    Using default runtime: v1.1.4322

** (Vapor.exe:23770): WARNING **: The class System.Collections.Generic.List`1 could not be loaded, used in mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089

** (Vapor.exe:23770): WARNING **: The class SteamKit2.DebugLog could not be loaded, used in SteamKit2, Version=1.1.0.33191, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

** (Vapor.exe:23770): WARNING **: The class System.Windows.Forms.FormClosedEventArgs could not be loaded, used in System.Windows.Forms, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089

Unhandled Exception: System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'System.Windows.Forms.FormClosedEventArgs' from assembly 'System.Windows.Forms, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'.
    Am I correct in assuming you've updated to Mono 2.10 in Vapor 1.6?

33. Post #433
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    840 Posts
    I don't believe I did anything specific in terms of breaking compatibility with older versions of Mono, but that definitely seems like your version of Mono is outdated.

34. Post #434

October 2011
    1 Posts
    I just tried 1.6 to get around the "Fail" problem in 1.5. Now I get this:

WARNING: The runtime version supported by this application is unavailable.
    Using default runtime: v1.1.4322

** (Vapor.exe:23770): WARNING **: The class System.Collections.Generic.List`1 could not be loaded, used in mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089

** (Vapor.exe:23770): WARNING **: The class SteamKit2.DebugLog could not be loaded, used in SteamKit2, Version=1.1.0.33191, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

** (Vapor.exe:23770): WARNING **: The class System.Windows.Forms.FormClosedEventArgs could not be loaded, used in System.Windows.Forms, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089

Unhandled Exception: System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'System.Windows.Forms.FormClosedEventArgs' from assembly 'System.Windows.Forms, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'.
    Am I correct in assuming you've updated to Mono 2.10 in Vapor 1.6?
    same error here, debian squeeze, mono 2.6.7

35. Post #435
    January 2009
    38 Posts
    Hello, I've tried running this on a Windows 7 (enterprise) computer without admin priviledge which has worked before,
    Though this time I try to login and I get "Disconnected from Steam3!"

I've checked that my login info is correct by logging in to steam's website, even tried manually opening steam ports with netsh, (Not sure what that would do but it was worth a try,) and running vapor from desktop as well as an external device.
    Steam friends is definitely working for everyone else as well.

Is there anything I should do to provide some more info? I'm not sure what I can do without installing stuff that requires admin priviledge and I don't know what debugging programs people use.

edit: tried 1.6.2 and 1.6.1

36. Post #436
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    840 Posts
    That can happen during Steam downtime, or if Vapor happens to decide to connect to a server that's down. Generally just attempting to login again should work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #437
    I <3 OTTERS~
    July 2011
    9,265 Posts
    Downloading now.

38. Post #438
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    584 Posts
    I'm trying to run Vapor through mono, but it exits after I click "Login" with:
    Code:
    Unhandled Exception: System.IO.EndOfStreamException: Failed to read past end of stream.
      at System.IO.BinaryReader.FillBuffer (Int32 numBytes) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at System.IO.BinaryReader.ReadUInt64 () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at SteamKit2.Internal.ExtendedClientMsgHdr.Deserialize (System.IO.Stream stream) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at SteamKit2.PacketClientMsg..ctor (EMsg eMsg, System.Byte[] data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at SteamKit2.Internal.CMClient.GetPacketMsg (System.Byte[] data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at SteamKit2.Internal.CMClient.NetMsgReceived (System.Object sender, SteamKit2.NetMsgEventArgs e) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at SteamKit2.Connection.OnNetMsgReceived (SteamKit2.NetMsgEventArgs e) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at SteamKit2.TcpConnection.ReadPacket () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at SteamKit2.TcpConnection.NetLoop () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at System.Threading.Thread.StartInternal () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
    [ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.IO.EndOfStreamException: Failed to read past end of stream.
      at System.IO.BinaryReader.FillBuffer (Int32 numBytes) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at System.IO.BinaryReader.ReadUInt64 () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at SteamKit2.Internal.ExtendedClientMsgHdr.Deserialize (System.IO.Stream stream) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at SteamKit2.PacketClientMsg..ctor (EMsg eMsg, System.Byte[] data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at SteamKit2.Internal.CMClient.GetPacketMsg (System.Byte[] data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at SteamKit2.Internal.CMClient.NetMsgReceived (System.Object sender, SteamKit2.NetMsgEventArgs e) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at SteamKit2.Connection.OnNetMsgReceived (SteamKit2.NetMsgEventArgs e) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at SteamKit2.TcpConnection.ReadPacket () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at SteamKit2.TcpConnection.NetLoop () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at System.Threading.Thread.StartInternal () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    My system, if important:
    Code:
    Host: Gensokyo Kernel: 3.2.0-3-powerpc ppc (32 bit) Desktop: Awesome 3.4.13 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux wheezy/sid

39. Post #439

January 2014
    31 Posts
    I know this is old, but does this not work anymore?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Late Late x 2 (list)

40. Post #440
    May 2010
    1,735 Posts
    I know this is old, but does this not work anymore?
    steam runs on linux now