1. Post #241
    October 2009
    497 Posts
    Oh my god. Fantastic models. Yuppi Spacebattles xD

2. Post #242
    Jeo
    June 2010
    206 Posts
    Well spaceships and SGU/atlantis stuff are all thats really left to get into gmod. besides more stargate maps that is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

3. Post #243
    March 2009
    907 Posts
    ok let me explain this ONE MORE TIME. what would you rather see when walking through the gate? the wall behind the gate or the rest of the map or a quik shimmer of a swirly wormhole vortex? i thought people would hate walking through and see a wall in their face. dont always quote the show. as for one, the stargates could only dial other planets yet i can dial a gate standing right next to the inbound one. think about thie implement to garrysmod before you start quoting the series.

p.s. in the stargate movie daniel jackson was able to see the travel vortex 9vortex is my new favorite word) before he was demalekualized and sent to abydos and same with the ark of truth in the super gate.
    First of all, the best would be what is the current died-in-gate view. I mean, when the player enters the gate, the camera gets a picture of the gate, with the player going in it, focused on the middle of the gate. Then when the player comes out, the same.

And also, that is some of the inconsistency of the series. In the movie, they told travelling to Abydos took 11 seconds (or something like that). Then in the series Carter stated many times that the transport is instant (except in episode "Red sky", when they detonated a bomb in the sun of K'Tau)

i was 11 when i started and understand most of it, dont worry if you really want to code there are plenty of places to start. i also tried learning by using a vic 20. didnt go very well :P
    Today's best and easiest language to learn is C#. Don't bother with Visual Basic, as it will be dropped in a few years, but C# will be supported for a "bit" more.

4. Post #244
    Jeo
    June 2010
    206 Posts
    First of all, the best would be what is the current died-in-gate view. I mean, when the player enters the gate, the camera gets a picture of the gate, with the player going in it, focused on the middle of the gate. Then when the player comes out, the same.

And also, that is some of the inconsistency of the series. In the movie, they told travelling to Abydos took 11 seconds (or something like that). Then in the series Carter stated many times that the transport is instant (except in episode "Red sky", when they detonated a bomb in the sun of K'Tau)
    in the sieries they often changed the travel time. just like walters name. and for the gate death view, that would be so much less realistic then seeing a quick travel vortex. it would be nice to have when model clipping first comes out but im talking more long term. just hope other poeple who think they are not noobs because they have been in one of the previous threads say "omg stop askin for travl animation your stupid avon said NO" instead of going back to read why we cant have it, then reread my post.

5. Post #245
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    10,320 Posts
    off but on topic, I was watching Atlantis,
    skip to 5:45, who walked in the background? haha

on topic, what's the new with clipping?

6. Post #246
    Jeo
    June 2010
    206 Posts
    off but on topic, I was watching Atlantis,
    skip to 5:45, who walked in the background? haha

on topic, what's the new with clipping?
    We have been discussing things to implement to clipping. i for one suggested a type of short travel animation tid bit, and before you say anything, go to one of my first posts here and read it. it's different then the other tavel animation ideas. besides that someone came outwith a type of clipping tool. not sure what exactly the purpose is but it does some cool stuff.

7. Post #247
    August 2009
    167 Posts
    I dare say touche
    I was just playing with all these ships the other day with a sort of kitbashed Legacy mod I have for stargate. Weapons I must say are terrible though, I've been having trouble fixing some and getting them to work properly but I stopped caring all together, and that's really for another place I guess, lol.

But I have no idea where you got that replicator ship in the second pic.
    And did you port these to GMod? :O

8. Post #248
    Jeo
    June 2010
    206 Posts
    I dare say touche
    I was just playing with all these ships the other day with a sort of kitbashed Legacy mod I have for stargate. Weapons I must say are terrible though, I've been having trouble fixing some and getting them to work properly but I stopped caring all together, and that's really for another place I guess, lol.

But I have no idea where you got that replicator ship in the second pic.
    And did you port these to GMod? :O
    the covenant ship in the background gives it away :)

9. Post #249
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    4,441 Posts
    The ships Sokar posted pictures of are actually taken from (and ported) Stargate: Empire at War, a Stargate mod for Star Wars Empire at War.

http://empireatwar.filefront.com/fil...gate_EaW;98087

Recognized them instantly.

10. Post #250
    August 2009
    167 Posts
    The ships Sokar posted pictures of are actually taken from (and ported) Stargate: Empire at War, a Stargate mod for Star Wars Empire at War.

http://empireatwar.filefront.com/fil...gate_EaW;98087

Recognized them instantly.
    <in a "Rodney McKay" tone of voice>

Actually, you're not exactly right. Every one of those ships originally came from the Stargate: Alliance mod for Star Trek: Legacy, found here: http://legacy.filefront.com/file/Alliance;78949

You can notice that the EaW mod you posted was done in 2009, while the Alliance mod was done way back in 2007.

Although, I should also note that they came from various other sources even before that.
    And, if memory serves, the majority of those came from a Stargate ship pack addon for ST: Bridge Commander before they were ported to Legacy in the Alliance mod.

Oh, and that doesn't include the replicator ship as I pointed out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #251
    February 2009
    467 Posts
    Alright I have to admit that was damn confusing.

12. Post #252
    February 2009
    34 Posts
    can i ask if anyone has had problems with the stargate mod on the new updates garrys done. ive downloaded the svn and seems not to be showing up on game. ive tryed nonsvn and its fine

im downloading the zip file to see if that works

13. Post #253
    November 2007
    390 Posts
    I would rather see a wall.
    The movie generally isn't considered 100% cannon to the show, there are too many inconsistency's.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

14. Post #254
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    10,320 Posts
    Sorry if this is not the right place but as my question involves a file associated with Stargate i thought i would ask here.

I started a SB3 Gamemode and when it hit "q" for the menu i get the message:

ERROR: GAMEMODE:'OnSpawnMenuClose' Failed: lua\stargate\vgui\skeyboardkey.lua:192: attempt to call field '__OnSpawnMenuClose' (a nil value)

CAn anyone help me? like i said if its in the wrong place sorry.
    Remove the achievements mod.

15. Post #255
    January 2009
    518 Posts
    Jeo, c'mon. It never was instant. And I'll tell you about placing.

In build maps, there's no point to stargates if we want to have the gates more consistent to the show than the show it self is. On spacebuild maps, which have full support for LS3(or just maps with logic_case), that I believe is a hard job. We could take the logic_case's radius, and add a limit to the gate that it would not allow to spawn a different gate within the radius. But if the gate isn't in the center of the planet, then it wouldn't work perfectly. Or, in co-op with SBDev Team, allow one gate per atmosphere. And not anywhere, but one or no gate could be IN atmosphere. Each. But then it gets more complicated with spacegates.

The travelling through gates wasn't instant any time. It's an artificial wormhole. But, even though it isn't instant, it looks to the travler as if it were instant. So, what's the point?

If a gate is facing(the side of which the first woosh(damnit, can't remember the name), so what? I exit and I'm facing a wall, like within a unit, I don't care.

OOOooooo, a wall-a-text here, and a nice one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Lithuania Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

16. Post #256

April 2010
    41 Posts
    they should rlly make that you know...
    it would be cool to travel only from planets to planets not from 1 meter to 3 meters....
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Estonia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

17. Post #257
    January 2008
    250 Posts
    I would rather see a wall.
    The movie generally isn't considered 100% cannon to the show, there are too many inconsistency's.
    ...Ark of Truth

18. Post #258
    November 2007
    390 Posts
    ...Ark of Truth
    He referenced the original and the ark of truth in that post genius...
    I was reffering to the former part of it. Plus it doesn't matter.
    You can't see anything when you are in transit or when you face is inside it. If you disagree you obviously have no idea what you're on about.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

19. Post #259
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    10,635 Posts
    When you put your face in the Event Horizon, you don't have a face anymore.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #260
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,551 Posts
    Yes you have. If you pull it out again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

21. Post #261
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    10,320 Posts
    When you put your face in the Event Horizon, you don't have a face anymore.
    No, the stargate wait for all matter to enter the horizon before it sends it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

22. Post #262
    March 2009
    907 Posts
    No, the stargate wait for all matter to enter the horizon before it sends it.
    But still as soon as it gets into the gate, it gets disassembled (demolecularized). So actually you DON'T have a face when you put it into a gate.

But that still makes another question. Why don't they bleed when only a part of them are in the gate? I mean, it is like cutting a part of you. You put your hand into the EH, and it "cuts" your hand down. Then there should be blood. A lot of blood.

23. Post #263
    Dennab
    October 2007
    2,363 Posts
    You remember how the stargate has some influence on its surroundings? like how water cannot pour through the gate and flood the recieveing end (SG:1 - Watergate) perhaps it has safety protocols to prevent the loss of blood, or perhaps it vitualy keeps your circulatory system operating within the gate, taking in blood and pumping it back out into your body. It would suggest that the mark 0 (Destiny) stargate does indeed have some failsafes installed.

24. Post #264
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    10,320 Posts
    But still as soon as it gets into the gate, it gets disassembled (demolecularized). So actually you DON'T have a face when you put it into a gate.

But that still makes another question. Why don't they bleed when only a part of them are in the gate? I mean, it is like cutting a part of you. You put your hand into the EH, and it "cuts" your hand down. Then there should be blood. A lot of blood.
    It completely de-molecularizes it, so there is no blood. But, they did mess up a lot on that show, I even saw a crew member walk right by in the background on one episode before.

25. Post #265
    March 2009
    907 Posts
    Yes indeed. But what if all your blood is in the gate? You completely dry out or what? I don't think the gate will pump it into you :\

26. Post #266
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    234 Posts
    <in a "Rodney McKay" tone of voice>

Actually, you're not exactly right. Every one of those ships originally came from the Stargate: Alliance mod for Star Trek: Legacy, found here: http://legacy.filefront.com/file/Alliance;78949

You can notice that the EaW mod you posted was done in 2009, while the Alliance mod was done way back in 2007.

Although, I should also note that they came from various other sources even before that.
    And, if memory serves, the majority of those came from a Stargate ship pack addon for ST: Bridge Commander before they were ported to Legacy in the Alliance mod.

Oh, and that doesn't include the replicator ship as I pointed out.
    It was a Star Trek stargate ship addon pack yes, All the models were actually in the same pack, if you search there was an updated one, but we are talking I did these ports over a year ago. I was just looking through my Xfire screenshots and i found these, it's just half the stuff I ported and gave collision models for. I ported near every ship you ever saw, including Ori fighters, Ori battleship, all the Asgard types, Wraith cruiser, the one i couldn't port was Hive/Superhive too many vertices or something.

What also reminded me of these was searching through old backups on discs, for Gmod addons after a re-format, and found all the texture files and QC/SMD files, there was no models/materials. I asked permission last year sometime to release them, but got no reply...

27. Post #267
    February 2009
    467 Posts
    So about the new thingy that can clip models and stuff, I know you guys said it might not work with the model clipping, but could it be used to for if theres a model halfway in then the gate closes so the model gets cut? And idk how it works and stuff, so if it can't do that then whatever.

28. Post #268
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    3,105 Posts
    -snip-

Edited:

So about the new thingy that can clip models and stuff, I know you guys said it might not work with the model clipping, but could it be used to for if theres a model halfway in then the gate closes so the model gets cut? And idk how it works and stuff, so if it can't do that then whatever.
    In the show (again this fact is inconsistent) the gate won't close until the whole item goes through or the 28 minutes are up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #269
    Why so Sirius?
    April 2009
    3,287 Posts
    -snip-

Edited:

In the show (again this fact is inconsistent) the gate won't close until the whole item goes through or the 28 minutes are up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

30. Post #270
    Jeo
    June 2010
    206 Posts
    He referenced the original and the ark of truth in that post genius...
    I was reffering to the former part of it. Plus it doesn't matter.
    You can't see anything when you are in transit or when you face is inside it. If you disagree you obviously have no idea what you're on about.
    im just saying, im sure people would prefer to se a short swurl or something. does not have to be a wormhole animation, it could be a brither light with a suddle swirl at the edges, all im saying is once model clipping comes in it WONT BE INSTANT! since you have to completley walk through. Unless you want to syggest to aVoN that he stop his curent work and make it so its like the game portal where haldf of your body is one place and the rest is somewhere else, then dont try pulling logic on me. I already considered this.

Edited:

Jeo, c'mon. It never was instant. And I'll tell you about placing.

In build maps, there's no point to stargates if we want to have the gates more consistent to the show than the show it self is. On spacebuild maps, which have full support for LS3(or just maps with logic_case), that I believe is a hard job. We could take the logic_case's radius, and add a limit to the gate that it would not allow to spawn a different gate within the radius. But if the gate isn't in the center of the planet, then it wouldn't work perfectly. Or, in co-op with SBDev Team, allow one gate per atmosphere. And not anywhere, but one or no gate could be IN atmosphere. Each. But then it gets more complicated with spacegates.

The travelling through gates wasn't instant any time. It's an artificial wormhole. But, even though it isn't instant, it looks to the travler as if it were instant. So, what's the point?

If a gate is facing(the side of which the first woosh(damnit, can't remember the name), so what? I exit and I'm facing a wall, like within a unit, I don't care.

OOOooooo, a wall-a-text here, and a nice one.

I understand the radios thing, i was just making a point. Not everything is going to be cannon. you posted a good argument and took some of these into consideration, but once again, gmod isnt real life. not everything can be perfect for the travler. point is the movie and ark of truth (and possibly the first episode of season 1) are the only time you see what happens after you put your face through the event horizon.

p.s. the first woosh thingy is called a kawoosh

p.s.s i just rewatched the movie and they said abydos was in the kelium galexy XD

31. Post #271
    January 2009
    518 Posts
    Stuff finally explained
    Eff, now I feel like Hoagland. Damn...(He debunked the Moon hoax very well, but just to prove somthing about Mars...)

I understood you. Basically, when player is in-between gates, we see the animation?

If not, then no.

32. Post #272
    November 2007
    390 Posts
    We didn't see what happens when you are half in the gate, that's just a visual aid to give new people an idea of whats going on.
    You don't have eyes when they are in the buffer before being sent, you don't see anything. aVoN has said he wont add this kind of feature so theres no reason to discuss it.

33. Post #273

February 2010
    2,954 Posts
    Yes indeed. But what if all your blood is in the gate? You completely dry out or what? I don't think the gate will pump it into you :\
    The EH probably cuts the blood flow, just like the way water doesn't go throught on it's own.

34. Post #274
    April 2009
    887 Posts
    What happens if you stick your entire head through the EH, how would your brain function? Think about it...

35. Post #275
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    2,255 Posts
    I've thought about that one.

Odd =s

36. Post #276
    January 2009
    518 Posts
    What happens if you stick your entire head through the EH, how would your brain function? Think about it...
    Now here, people of mine(please), is where Fiction comes in. Think about that. If everything was true there, engineers wouldn't even exist. Atleast the ones we know today. Movie designers would be the best designers of real stuff too, and they would be the best that EVAR existed..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Lithuania Show Events Informative Informative x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

37. Post #277
    February 2009
    27 Posts
    Now here, people of mine(please), is where Fiction comes in. Think about that. If everything was true there, engineers wouldn't even exist. Atleast the ones we know today. Movie designers would be the best designers of real stuff too, and they would be the best that EVAR existed..
    Yes some one else has figured it out, yes there will be some errors but its only FICTION

38. Post #278

February 2009
    663 Posts
    can you make an autodownload from severr for all your addons?

Edited:

a lua autorun file pls

39. Post #279
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    2,255 Posts
    And what if you lay down and all your body goes in, except the head...

Then you wouldn't be able to get back out again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

40. Post #280
    April 2009
    353 Posts
    And what if you lay down and all your body goes in, except the head...

Then you wouldn't be able to get back out again.
    Well then Im guessing someone would have to pull you back out. I think they showed something similar in Stargate Atlantis, when the pudddle jumper was stuck in the gate. I think they pulled Lt Ford from the event horizon, his arm was sticking out.

Edited:

Wasnt there something similar in SG1 (The Enemy Within). When Teal'c was fighting with Kawalsky at the gate. Im pretty sure they stuck there heads through the event horizon a couple times and came back out.